1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius high temp light on

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by fireman321fd16, Apr 24, 2016.

1. fireman321fd16

fireman321fd16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My daughter has a 2001 Prius with about 165,000 miles on it. She was driving it and the red high temp light came on and stayed on. She also said that a few minutes later she lost power. She stopped and turned it off. Waited a few minutes, and started it again. The light went off and she drove it home about 5 miles. The light came on when she got home. No engine codes. I changed the thermostat. I filled it back up with fresh antifreeze and water and took out to test drive. No leaks. 2 miles down the road the light came back on. I stopped and checked it. upper radiator hose, hot and lower hose cold. Radiator not warm. Blowing out hot air with the heater. I think the water pump belt is on, as i am at work right now but will check as soon as I get home. I took the old thermostat and put it in a pan of boiling water and it opened, so apparently it was the thermostat. Anyone have any ideas what it could be. Any help would be app

2. miso03

miso03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you bled the system properly? There are numerous tutorials on how to do it. Also have you checked the codes with Techstream?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How is the inverter pump?

Check the resevoir and make sure it show turbulence.

Bob Wilson

DRACO and usnavystgc like this.
  4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with Bob, those are classic symptoms of a failed inverter coolant pump.

DRACO likes this.
  5. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    +2 invertor

Do the repair sooner than later or it will cause more expensive damage, i.e. new invertor :eek: