1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 prius key stuck

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sharnold, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2001 prius that I'm working on for a customer the only way you can remove the key is with the 12 V battery disconnected yes I've tried pressing the plastic pedal under the steering wheel it will not work I have took the steering column down and looked all the pieces are functioning as they should be I even adjusted the shifter linkage neither the key nor valet key will come out unless the battery is disconnected. Any ideas or hacks without replacing the column?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the car in park?

3. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Car is in park the nsbu or gear selector module recognizes it's in park but it will not release the key even while pressing the manual release under the steering wheel. Only way to remove it is to disconnect the 12volt battery

4. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, by removing the 12volt battery, you some how disable the voltage to a switch or solenoid that allows the key to be removed. Interesting...find a wire diagram. Something in the park switch is not disabling the power correctly, even though it shows it is in park. Could the car have a short that is supplying 12volts to that key removal solenoid constantly until you disconnect the 12 volt battery?

Sharnold likes this.
  5. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I've already traced it down to a constant 12volt supply to the lock solenoid and it's in the gear selector switch But if i unplug the solenoid the key will come out

#5 Sharnold, Oct 26, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  6. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mount a switch outside the steering column that will disable that wire, so the key can be removed with out having to disconnect the battery. If that wire to the solenoid has a constant 12 volts, it shouldn't. Obviously something is causing it. A short to +12volts. Can you trace that wire back to its origin. What is giving it the +12 volts? The gear selector?

7. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The gear selector is what supplies the voltage because it's not sensing the car is in park. I figured all of this stuff out last night.

8. Claudio M Cacace

Claudio M Cacace New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have thee same problem with my '02. So what is the solution? Replace the gear selector? I bought the car at Copart and I suspect it was damaged by forcing the gear selector out of P without turning car on.