1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Power Steering Quit

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bobofky, Mar 30, 2011.

1. bobofky

bobofky Member

I have a 2001 Prius with almost 224,000 miles. It has never had any power steering problems during the 7.5 years that I have owned it. About 10 days ago during a heavy rain, I parked it nose down on a driveway that was steeply inclined. The next morning when I started it there was no power steering. I find that the un-powered steering is not all that bad to drive. About llike a 1939 Ford. I have browsed this forum and it appears that this is a well know problem with 2001 and 2002 Priuses, and that a change was made in 2003 to correct the problem. Correction requires replacing the entire steering system, including the rack. Can anyone tell me if I can use the steering system from a 2003 to avoid recurrance of the problem? If so, does the replacement process differ from using a 2001 system?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    As far as I know the 2003 system is compatible. I am not sure whether you need to bring in the new steering ECU as well. The assemblies are available frm salvaeg dismantlers, as well as new from Toyota.

The R&R takes about 2 hours fo rthose with all the required tools and skills. I have never done it. Where are you? Pehaps close to one of the known indpendent Prius shops?

3. bobofky

bobofky Member

I am at Lexington, KY. I have a good mechanic that has done all of my work since the warranty expired and I left the stealer, er I mean dealer. He did my battery replacement and also the replacement for my sister-in-law's 2001 Prius.

4. bobofky

bobofky Member

Thanks. I don't know what part or assembly that I need to ask for. I did a search on "Toyota Prius 2003 Power Steering Assembly" and found some used parts sites that sell "Steering Gear Rack" for $101.
    Will that do the job? I don't want to go with a 2001 part because it will likely fail soon. Thanks for your help.