1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius - Red Triangle - No error codes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Blotto, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Blotto

Blotto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi folks,

She started right up, engine running but then the Triangle of Death appeared.
    I checked the tire pressures, oil level and fuel cap tightness - hope springs eternal.
    The 12v battery showed 12.3 V on a multimeter (with the engine not running).
    No error codes, with the reader pictured below.

Any thoughts?
    Error msg 1.jpg
    Error msg 2 small.jpg
    Reader small.JPG

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The reader pictured didn't retrieve the error codes.

Blotto and WHCSC like this.
  3. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I don't know the specifics of that particular reader, but most only do generic OBD 2 codes. The OBD 2 system is about emissions. So if your "check engine light" was the only warning light on then you'd be golden.

But then there are tons of other diagnostic codes regarding problems, and if those problems don't directly affect emissions levels then the auto companies are basically allowed to keep them "secret" so that they can only be read with more...uh..."special" types of code readers.

The official, proprietary Toyota stuff is called "Techstream" and if you search the forums you will find 1001 posts about cheaply procuring knock-off Techstream software. That can get weird, but if you're slightly ambitious and slightly tech savvy you can figure that out. There are also other options out there if you look around.

Short of that, you'd need to pay a shop to read your codes. I'd absolutely avoid Toyota dealers, and look for a local and independently owned shop that specializes in Toyota, and/or Prius, and/or hybrids in general.

Blotto likes this.
  4. Blotto

Blotto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the replies!

So that illuminated symbol in the 2nd photo is the Check Engine light?
    (Bit confusing, isn't it - why is it a picture of a car and not an engine?)

I'm assuming the unlit PS symbol is Power Steering and Main is the traction battery.
    So both of those are OK and not part of the problem?

There is an independent Toyota shop hereabouts but it's about 20 miles away - would it be a bit foolish of me to chance driving there or should I get it towed?

#4 Blotto, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  5. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No, the photos show no check engine light. It would be up top to the right of the red triangle, would be yellow and would say "check engine" with a little engine icon.

But yes, by the lower lights that are on the display, whatever the current error codes are don't implicate a power steering or traction battery (so that is good). If the car is driving normally, then I'd be the kind to venture forth to the 20 miles to the independent shop. But I also have a roadside service that would step in to tow if that trip went wrong, so you should make your own decisions about that. I've often been surprised at how a car can make stupid little minor problems out to be a big thing. But you won't know until you get the codes read.

Blotto likes this.
  6. Blotto

Blotto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for setting me straight about the engine light, Josey.

Well folks, the good news is that I may have found the culprit - the inverter coolant level is way down.
    (Yeah, I know, I should be keeping an eye on these things)

I've ordered up some Toyota LLAC (Long Life Antifreeze Coolant) and I'll report back!

Inverter Coolant small.jpg

7. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I could be wrong...but I don't think low coolant alone can trigger any codes. You would get one if the temps got too high, but if this happened on an initial start-up that wouldn't do it as nothing's had time to heat up. For your sake I hope that's it, but do note that if the coolant level is low, then you'd need to watch it closely for a while as cooling systems are closed and usually only get low because of leaks.

WHCSC and Blotto like this.
  8. Blotto

Blotto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Good points Josey...thanks!

9. Blotto

Blotto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, you're not going to believe this folks but ...Prius lives!!
    I topped up the inverter coolant, disconnected and reconnected the 12V battery and no warning lights.
    Went for a 10 mile ride and still no problems.

Many thanks for all the help folks...maybe I'll get to the 1/3 million mile mark yet!

10. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I believe it, and for your sake I hope that's it.

But I'm pretty sure the "codes" are thinking:

Blotto, WHCSC and dolj like this.
  11. Blotto

Blotto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ha! Good one Josey.
    I won't be going on any long trips for a while that's for sure.
    Cheers