1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius won't start

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ChrisWaechter, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ChrisWaechter

ChrisWaechter New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My 2001 won't start. When the key is turned, the system starts up and the hybrid system initializes, there are 3 clicks in the dash, and the check engine light stays on, without the engine even turning over. I had a mechanic look at it cursorily and he said it looks like the hybrid system is fine, the signal to start the engine isn't resulting in the engine starting. He said it was probably the starter or a fuse to the starter, but the gen 1 Prius doesn't have a starter, so I don't know that I can trust his diagnosis. The 12v battery is brand new (3 months old) and is an aftermarket deep cycle battery. Also, it has been very cold here. The triangle of death doesn't appear, so I am hoping that it isn't something in the hybrid system. It did this off and on before it stopped starting at all. I was also getting the turtle intermittantly when it was giving me occasional problems. Turning the car off and on a couple times usually made this go away. The car has 154k on it. I am thinking it might be the ignition starter switch, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Also, this is my mother's car(she lives in Arizona). She said that it has been doing this (or something similar to this) since she got the car. She said it usually happened when it was very hot. She also said that it was very intermittant and she was always able to start the car after resetting it with 5 cycles of the key.

2. ChrisWaechter

ChrisWaechter New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    P.S. couldn't find the Gen 1 forum, so I just posted here. C

3. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i'm dealing with the same issue with a 2001 i just bought. i just installed a rebuilt hv battery pack that seems to be working fine too. i turn the key and nothing. i'm wondering if it is a fuse issue? i'm gonna try to have it scanned for error codes asap. unfortunately i don't have the scan tool.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In order to help you, we need to know what codes are causing your check engine light.

5. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    thanks usnavystgc! i don't have a scan tool to read the codes. i'm going to a mechanic friend today and hopefully i can use his to get a code. i don't get any check engine light or warning symbols. i just turn the key and nothing. not even a hint of it turning over.

6. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know you say the 12V battery is new but, what is the voltage on it? The symptoms really suggest a bad or low 12V battery.

7. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i just measured it at 12.52 and tried to jump it also. still nothing..

8. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmmmmmm???? I guess that means we need to have the codes read. Hopefully there is some. Let us know what you come up with today.

9. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    my (non-prius) mechanic buddy down the street came over with his scanner and we couldn't pull any codes with it. his scanner tips said the engine oil may be too thick and to drain it and try lighter oil? this was an auction car with a broken out drivers window and rear window. there was a lot of water on the drivers side floor and in the trunk. maybe its a bad wiring connection somewhere? if it was the main relay in the hv battery wouldn't i get a code or see a warning light in the prius screen?

10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With that said, it could be anything. You're probably going to need the manuals. Good luck and keep us up to date.

11. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not dealt with the NHW11 to any extent but is the HV safety interlock installed correctly? Usnavystgc may have more information on this>

John (Britprius)

12. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    hey john! is the HV safety lock you are referring to the orange service plug that plugs into the relay that cuts the hv battery voltage in half? (excuse my lack of the language) if so, yes i've had it in and out numerous times. gonna trouble shoot some more today and see what i can come up with. it didn't seem like it could be a bad coil but i'm gonna check all 4 anyway. i'll keep ya's posted.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Slim just trying to make sure you have the HV supply going to the front of the car as I'm sure you know it is this supply that turns the engine to start it, so Checking voltages in and out of the DC contacters would be my first port of call.

John (Britprius)

14. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok, again excuse my lack of terminology. by DC contactors are you are referring to the system main relay that is inside the hv battery where all the connections are made from the harness to the hv battery? here's a pic: $T2eC16JHJIYE9qUcNbUqBQvkDrzDqw~~60_57.JPG

15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Slim,
    What I would like for you to do (for my own peace of mind) is have you check the orange service plug to ensure it is properly inserted. This will seem elementary but please review this document in detail. Pls pay specific attention to step 9. (c) on page 21-118. Many people (including qualified technicians) tend to forget this step. Pls verify the plug is installed correctly IAW this doc. This is for an 04-09 but I'm pretty sure the procedure is the same.

Attached Files:

Britprius likes this.
  16. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i will double check it is securely in place. thanks!

usnavystgc likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a small microswitch on the side. Make sure the lever closes when the orange handle locks. It is good to measure to make sure it provides continuity. This is the microswitch that cares the safety interlock signal from the inverter to the HV ECU.

Bob Wilson

18. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    there is a microswitch on the orange service plug? i only see one handle the folds up and down to lock it into place. i have a 2001 prius.

19. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I do not know what your problem is ,but one of mine you have to turn the key to start and than back to the off and than quickly turn it to start and than it will start. I am planning to look into what is causing this,but have not had he time to fix it yet. I would try that on yours and see what happens..

Bamt and slimfrancis like this.
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is on the right side of the socket. The plug begins engaging when the handle is at the 45 degree angle. I'm looking for my photos but think I left them over at Prius Technical Stuff.
    Source: Yahoo group "Prius Technical Stuff" June 26, 2011

[​IMG]

Bob Wilson

yotatoter likes this.