1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius won't start

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ChrisWaechter, Jan 30, 2013.

1. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I

2. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    great thanks bob! i'm gonna try to fiddle with this today. i swapped out the hv relay yesterday with a different one and still nothing. i'll keep you posted. thanks!

3. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you measure the HV pack voltage? On Gen1 you can do it from the "Plug to nowhere" aka external charging port without taking the battery apart. Just move the trim on the drivers side rear of the battery then pull out the orange charge plug port. Make the the orange power disconnect on rear is PLUGGED IN then carefully (wear gloves and dont' touch probles together) measure the voltage with a voltmeter than can handle 300+ volts.

The photo from before shows the orange charge port not plugged into it's keeper on the side of the battery case. Fish it out of the drivers side panel to access. It connects to the battery side of the SMR so it doesn't matter if the SMR is working or not.

[​IMG]

usnavystgc and slimfrancis like this.
  4. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ahhh, so that's what that orange plug is. i was wondering about that yesterday as it is just seated in that plastic housing. i will try this. which of the 3 holes are my positive and negative?

5. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The two ends are positive and negative. Middle terminal nothing. I forget which end is which, but I do recall the color codes were opposite of what you'd assume based on the wire color codes. Make sure you use a multimeter to verify polarity, especially if hooking up some sort of charger.

slimfrancis likes this.
  6. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok, can i also take my total hv pack voltage reading where i connect the main wiring harness? (2 main orange cables)

7. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you mean the terminals behind the rear seat no...they are on the car side of the SMR and only have power when the car is ON AND READY. You need to check voltage on the Battery side of the SMR if car is not READY...that is why the orange "plug to nowhere" is useful (and for charging a weak HV battery if you have the right charging equipment).

usnavystgc and slimfrancis like this.
  8. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok i just got a reading of 291 volts coming out of the "plug to nowhere", i answered my own question about getting a reading from the 2 main hv ports out. i could not get a reading there.

also, i'm thinking maybe the problem is that i had keys made and programmed without having my hv battery in the car (auto key guy said he only needs to have the 12 volt battery to program the key) maybe the hv ecu needs to be synchronized with the immobilizer??

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Who made the keys and how were they programmed? Were they programed in the car using the "chicken dance" or by a machine at a locksmith or Wal Mart from the master?

Where is the original "master" key? There could be tons of reasons why this car's not starting.

10. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hold everything.
    You should have mentioned key stuff earlier.
    Key/immobilizer issues will prevent car from READYing up no matter how good your Hybrid equipment is.

1) Did you ever have a valid key for this car?
    If not, how do you know "key guy" made one that will work? Has he worked on a Gen1 Prius before?
    Unless he reflashed or replaced the key ECU or cloned a working key I think you are SOL.
    You cannot just "add keys" to the car if you lose all of them.
    See Prius 1st gen - Immobilizer / Lost all keys

2) Did you change the hybrid ECU from the car? (the one under the passenger carpet)
    If you did, you need to "mate" it to the immobilizer. Turn car ON for 30 minutes, then car off, then try to start.
    Best to have a 12V battery charger/maintainer hooked up when you do this.

If you need a matched set Gen1 ignition key and key ECU I have one I could sell. Pmail me.

yotatoter and usnavystgc like this.
  11. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i had an auto locksmith come out and do it. he had a computer and has done other cars for me with no problems. he flashed the immobilizer and re-programmed it. he's doing another prius for me as we speak so i'm gonna have him try to re-synch the "problem" car when he is done.

12. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i had an auto locksmith come out and do it. he had a computer and has done other cars for me with no problems. he flashed the immobilizer and re-programmed it. he's doing another prius for me as we speak so i'm gonna have him try to re-synch the "problem" car when he is done.

ps. i never removed the passengers side ecu under carpet.

brief car history:
    - car was from auction and had no keys and no hv battery pack
    - key guy came and reflashed/programmed and cut a new key
    - i then later re-built an hv pack w/ gen 2 modules and just took a reading this am of 291 volts coming out
    - still nothing when i turn key

call me an idiot but i'm about to check all my fuses in the fuse compartments (probably should have done this first but... didn't think it could be a fuse problem)

13. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's going to be immobilzer problem. I'll bet you a beer.

If he truly reflashed the key ECU you still need to mate the HV ECU to car...follow the steps above. Make sure he's had experience doing a Toyota from this generation, newer Toyota's are much easier when "all keys lost". Did he take the dash apart? AFAIK there's no way to reflash the gen1 key ECU without removing it from the car.

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for sharing your expertise with us Paul.

yotatoter likes this.
  15. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    yes, he did take the dash apart and showed me the little black immobilizer box. we probably still need to mate the HV ECU to the immobilizer. i'll let you what happens in a couple hours. thanks much paul!

16. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i second that. you as well usnavy stgc!

usnavystgc likes this.
  17. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Attached is the pertinent part about Gen1 Prius HV ECU reset.

You need to re-mate the HV ECU to the immobilizer anytime you swap HV ECU or alter the key ECU.
    This is only for the 01 02 03 model year Prius.

If your 12V is not fully charged like new, use a 110V charger or at least another 12V battery and jumper cables to keep voltage up during the 30 minute waiting period.

After 30+ minutes, turn off key.
    Then turn to start, you'll hear SMR relays click, dash should say READY, a couple seconds later ICE should fire up.

Time the gas engine from when it first turns over with your phones stopwatch. If it "runs" more than 10 actual seconds you are golden. It it dies at 8 seconds it never actually started.

Attached Files:

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is he doing another Gen1 Prius for you?

Gen2/3 are actually much easier. You can make a "lost all keys" Gen2/3 go READY/drive via the OBD2 port with the correct software tools/experience....no need to take the dash apart, swap modules, re-mate the HV ECU etc.

19. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just a quick thought. I had a key made at Wal-mart and use it to unlock my doors only. If I put this key into the ignition, the red light by the radio volume does not light. Using the correct key, this light gives indication it is matched. I can't remember off hand the combination this light does with proper/improper keys. At work now, but I know this tells you if the right key is used to start the car. Hope this made sense.

20. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    yes, he's keying and programming a second gen 1 prius 2001 also. this one also has no hv battery in it yet. i'm gonna put an hv pack in later today. (maybe i should have put in the hv pack first and then have him re-key the car?) as far as the dead 2001 we're discussing (with hv Battery installed and reading 291 vlts) we tried a few different synching procedures that he recommended. however both procedures we did included putting a paper clip from obd 4 on top to odb 5 on bottom and then continuing with the 30 min wait cycle. both of these procedures did nothing and lights on dash were still spinning and blinking after 45 + minutes and never stopped on their own. only after we pulled the key out after almost an hour of supposed synching. i tested SMR yesterday in HV pack with another one(did nothing different), HV batt LED on screen shows 3/4 full with no warning lights. we can't pull any DTC codes off either. 2 people with scan tools tried and no codes. (one of them was like a $5000,00 scan computer)

i wish i heard that SMR relay click but nothing. total silence. maybe my hv battery appears good but isn't? maybe an ecu (hv or main ecu?) i have a 3rd gen 1 prius that runs and drives fine. my next step is to put the hv battery of the bad car into the good one and see what happens, then maybe start doing that with the ecu's too. you're almost up to a case of beer paul. thanks buddy!