1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 toyota prius Inverter cooling pump fault

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by beni, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    update:
    I was going through my dad’s tools and found these items below. A 10mm socket and extender and this got the first nut off in 2 seconds, unbelievable! It helps to turn the wheel so you have more clearance.
    Then I discovered there’s ANOTHER nut and tab higher up into the compartment. Yikes! I didn’t see that coming and have nothing on hand other than a small set of pliers and was able to wiggle my tiny hands up inside to so get the nut loose. Took an incredible amount of patience. Now it’s off.

I note I had to remove several screws underneath the car which attach the bumper to the underside of the car to pull the bumper down to gain some access to the headlamp assembly. And that’s where I am now.

I’ll keep posting as this project moves along. I have a 10mm socket 3/8 drive in dad’s tools on hand which I’ll use to remove the headlamp assembly from the frame since it’s bolted on pretty tight and I don’t have the strength to remove it with a hand wrench. Wish me luck. Hoping it gets easier from here.

By the way, do you know what size vinyl tubing I should order to use to bleed the coolant when I change that? I have Amazon Prime so I’ll order from there since I currently don’t have wheels.

Attached Files:

2. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You can go to Wal-Mart or pet store and get air pump tubing that goes to aquariums. It will stretch over the fitting making a tight seal

SM-G950U ?

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  3. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks FireFighterHill!

That’s very I nteresting, I’m slowly currently building a 50-gallon aquarium at home and just bought Python tubing as an “add-on item” from Amazon for about $2.80, 25’ and have several extra feet so I guess I’m set! Posting a photo below in case anyone is interested.

Many thanks for your reply! ;~)

Attached Files:

4. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Changed my inverter coolant pump today. Took me about an hour. Only tools needed were a 10mm wrench, 10mm socket, a flat head screw driver, and channel locks. I didn't change my coolant, and spilled very little so I didn't bother bleeding the system. The new pump is alot stronger. I can tell by how much more the water churns in the reservoir. Pretty easy job, just time consuming.

SM-G950U ?

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  5. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wow, that’s good to know. But what are channel locks and where did you need to use them? What year is your Prius?

I’m still at the point of getting the headlamp assembly removed.

6. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    These are channel locks. I used them to loosen the clamps around the hoses. Any pliers should work. They do make specialty tools for hose clamp removal. I replaced my clamps with the screw tightening type. Just FYI you don't have to remove the fender, just remove one bolt and one nut that holds the fender to the car and the headlight to the fender. Once you get the bumper out of the way there is two bolts holding a bracket that is attached to the light. Remove them and the top two bolts and the whole assembly will come out. Unplug the lights, set the headlight aside. Then the pump bracket has two more bolts, remove them and you can pull the pump through the opening to get at the hose clamps and electrical connection. [​IMG]

SM-G950U ?

#26 FireFighterHill, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  7. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok. I figured out what a channel lock is and tried it. But now I’m stuck. I’m down to the actual water pump. Trying to disconnect the clamps off the actual rubber hose from the broken pump is turning out to be futile for me. Any advice? I’ve tried using the channel locks and I have only a large pair just like pictured. Spent the last hour fumbling around with it.

The only alternative for me is to cut the existing rubber hose and use a new metal clamps to attach to the new pump. If the hose isn’t long enough to attach to the new inverter pump is there a connector set up I can use to attach to the existing Toyota pump hose? I’ve been able to do everything so far but I don’t have the strength in my hands to get these clamp off. Any suggestions?

8. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Disconnecting the electrical plug took quite a tug with the pliers. My God it was stuck in their since at least about 2002! I think I need a good drink tonight, and I normally don’t drink. But seeing that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel here and hopefully I’ll have saved myself a few bucks, I’m still believing this DIY job is going to be worth it. Tomorrow I will attempt to drain the coolant.

9. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Maybe try a different pair of pliers that give you better leverage?

SM-G950U ?

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  10. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sandy Meyers likes this.
  11. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    And be careful forcefully removing plugs. Don't wanna break them! Wiggling them while applying a consistent force is the best way. Just make sure you are depressing the tabs.

SM-G950U ?

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  12. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I ordered a pneumatc hose clamp today frim Amazon.
    I just don’t have the strength in my hands to use a pair of pliers and wiggle off the hose at the same time, plus I’m working with a bum shoulder. I ordered a pneumatic hose clamp plier today, which got good reviews on YouTube. Hopefully this will allow me to get the job done.

Attached Files:

13. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No kidding, getting the plug out of the inverter pump took a little talking to! It don’t come easy that’s for certain. Hopefully it will snap right into the new pump with not too much difficulty.

14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's the one I think it is, I have them. They can be a bit fiddly and the ones I got ($11 on Ebay) had the stop on one end come loose, crappy soldering. I ended up drilling and soldering a brass motorcycle main jet onto the cable. I used mine on my Porsche, those damned spring clamps were NOT user friendly. When you put the hoses back on, you should buy new hose clamps, worm drive are a lot easier to use. My old Porsche really does come off as a puzzle and a riddle. A thinking man's project car.

15. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for this. This is why I purchase from Amazon. No hassle returns. I’ve been a longtime eBay seller and buyer and am damn tired of their shenanigans with returns and unscrupulous sellers so when it matters, I turn to Amazon. Im keeping my fingers crossed the pneumatic pliers will work. Since I don’t have wheels, do you have a suggestion on a pack of worm drive clamps I can order online? I was thinking of going this route as well.

And by the way what are your thoughts on replacing any hoses at this point? Is this a doable job for a DIY’er at 93,000 miles?

Thanks Brian.

16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Since I don’t have wheels, do you have a suggestion on a pack of worm drive clamps I can order online? I was thinking of going this route as well."

Measure the old ones, you can order them from Amazon & have them in a day or two. You're right about Amazon. Good prices, quick delivery, and easy returns. Look for "hose clamps" when you do your search. I probably wouldn't worry too much about hoses unless they're obviously degraded.

#36 Brian in Tucson, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017
    Sandy Meyers likes this.
  17. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Id recommend ordering a variety pack of hose clamps

SM-G950U ?

#37 FireFighterHill, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Sandy Meyers and Brian in Tucson like this.
  18. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Okay, here’s where I’m at as of this afternoon.

The pneumatic pliers I purchased above were a complete failure. They would not properly grip and kept slipping off when I went to grip and tighten. They wouldn’t work for me on even easy to access Toyota clamps. The grips are not wide enough and unsuitable for these types of clamps in my opinion, so are being returned to Amazon.

I ended up using a hacksaw to cut both hoses to get the inverter pump out. I could see no other way. A cheap hacksaw easily cut through the OEM material. I could there was enough hose to reattach.

I was able to reattach the existing hose to the new inverter pump using a worm drive clamp on each of the hoses. It appears to be a workable solution at this point and the inverter pump mounts correctly in place with the existing screws. Plugged it back into the connector

I drained the old coolant by removing the 11/16 plug on the underside. I needed a breaker bar to break loose the nut since I didn’t have the strength to undue the nut with a regular ratchet wrench. A friend of mind lent me this tool, so we got that job done last night. No need to buy another tool and wait on Amazon.

I put new red Asian coolant from Amazon into the Prius this afternoon. Opened up both 10mm bleeder valves and attached 1/4” aquarium tubing to both. The 1/4” is tight, a real pain in the nice person to attach but eventually wrangled it on somehow.

Put the car in Ready IG On mode and cycled it a few times and refilled with coolant to refill the system. It seems full enough at this point and I’m satisfied.

Now it seems only one of the bleeder lines appears to be drawing fluid or air through it. I’m not getting any coolant, none whatsoever,
    through the left bleeder. See the photo below.

I believe the new worm clamps are securely fastened on the inverter pump. I’ve cycled the Prius through the ignition ON steps at least 7 times for several seconds.

What’s going on and am I doing something wrong?

Im having trouble uploading a photo it seems so will do so ASAP, but wanted to post. I’m making progress. Still cheaper than taking it to a dealer.

Many thanks.

Attached Files:

#38 Sandy Meyers, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  19. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The pneumatic pliers I purchased above were a complete failure. They would not properly grip and kept slipping off when I went to grip and tighten. They wouldn’t work for me on even easy to access Toyota clamps. The grips are not wide enough and unsuitable for these types of clamps in my opinion, so are being returned to Amazon.

Attached Files:

#39 Sandy Meyers, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the ones I got on Ebay were similar. On my Porsche, I got them to finally work on the worst hose clamp (the one where the Black Forest elves installed it so there was no way to ever get it off.) These things are difficult to use, and once you're done, they end up in the "usless tool" tub.

If it ain't leaking, you did well. The passenger side bleeder is a "suck" tube. The other one is a "blow" tube. It's entirely possible you wouldn't get flow out of the "sucker."

If you're getting flow in the reservoir, but still have bubbles, don't worry. It will eventually bleed the bubbles out. Nice job, Sandy!