1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Toyota Prius - told it was gone, but still running

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by akayo, Apr 23, 2018.

1. akayo

akayo New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys!

I bought a 2001 Toyota Prius in 2014 - it had over 160000 on it and I just passed the 300K mark!

I love this car - and it loves me right back.
    Two weeks ago I had my oil changed and my mechanic told me to get the spark plug casings replaced due to codes on my Toyota. Got that done. 2 days after that, my car started knocking terrible. Took it back in - he said - your engine rod is gone.

I am having a hard time with this. The car is still running - knocking but running.

He did not replace the spark plugs when he changed the housing - is there something else I can do? I am just not ready to get a newer car. #lovemyprius

Ian Wong likes this.
  2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's an actual rod knock, no the engine is toast.

Was it knocking before the oil change? Have you checked the oil level? Low oil could make a tappet noise possible. Did he do anything to the spark plugs, a loose plug could make a noise. Before you write it off, I'd get a second opinion, from a reputable mechanic's shop.

The alternative to sending to car part heaven is a replacement engine. My experience is that the engine is not the reason a Prius dies, more likely it's the HV (traction) batteries which are a big ticket item. I do my own work, and if it were my car, I'd look for a good used motor. If you can't do it yourself, try to find a indie hybrid shop--save you from the high price parts changers at the dealership.