1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 wont start, odd signs showing up

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by humungus, Jun 28, 2015.

1. humungus

humungus New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few days ago, I couldn't get the key to turn in the ignition, no previous problems at all. The key wouldn't turn, and it felt like something was blocking it. I took the ignition out, drilled through the rivets holding it together, and found a tumbler that was stuck out. I removed the wafer, put the ignition back together, reconnected everything, and it started without any issues. Pat myself on the back for being lucky, move on.

3 days later....key suddenly feels locked in. After I take it out, I put it back in and the car wont start. They key turns smooth, but its another problem and not sure how related it is. When I turn the key now, the car wont start, I get no ready light, the gears show on the display, but it doesn't show what gear it is in..no square around the PNDB. If I leave the key in the "on" position the gas gauge will start blinking from full to empty. I checked the diagnostic screen and my battery shows 11.6V.

When I had the ignition out, I disconnected the main Battery and just took of the neg side of the 12v battery. Im hoping that Im just an idiot and ran down the battery, and thats what is causing my problem, but I don't know. Im no mechanic.
    Dont want to waste buying a battery if thats not my problem. Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. How old is the 12V battery?
    2. What do you mean by "disconnected the main Battery"? Do you mean that you had removed the orange traction battery interlock switch?
    3. If you answer to #2 is yes, then when you reinstalled the traction battery switch, did you pivot the handle 90 degrees, then slide it to lock in place? That second step is often forgotten.
    4. There was no need to disconnect the traction battery, by the way.
    5. It wouldn't hurt to put a charger on the 12V battery.

3. humungus

humungus New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yes, I removed the interlock switch, put it back in correctly. Car ran for a few days before the next/same problem started.
    I charged the 12v, but car still did not start. I also connected the battery to a charger, and when the display read 12.5v, I tried to start it to no avail as well. In the menu it says battery is at 11.6v again. The only error code I could find was
    01-DE 1C6-CD-1

The fact that the display doesn't show what gear I'm in when the key is in the ON position is confusing me. PRNDB show up, but not the indicator around the gear...even when I switch gears. No ready light, and if I leave it in the ON position for a few seconds, the fuel display flashes from full to empty.

Udate: Put a new 12v in, 26R-3 with new Pos/Neg hook-ups....didnt fix the problem. Any Ideas on what my problem is would be appriciated

#3 humungus, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015