1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 clunk in front end over bumps

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tryyn, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever since the weather has been getting warmer, we have noticed a metallic clunking sound in the drivers-side front end of our 2002. It is most noticeable going into driveways, over railroad tracks, or other larger bumps. If it was there during the winter, it was barely there, but temperature appears to affect it. Replaced the driver's side strut, and that didn't fix it. I'm suspecting it might be an anti-roll (sway bar) link, has anybody else had this issue?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What did you think of the condition of the link when you were replacing the strut?

mroberds likes this.
  3. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the strut replaced by an independent shop. The technician reported that he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and that nothing seemed loose in the front end.

4. mroberds

mroberds Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I solved a random front-end clunk on my '01 last spring by replacing both sway bar links. I would notice mine making noise when I pulled over a curb into a driveway, and sometimes even when I braked moderately hard, especially when going downhill.

If you can DIY, a really simple diagnostic is to take one of the sway bar links off the car - in your case, probably the driver's side - and drive it again. The other link should keep the sway bar itself from flopping around during the test drive. If the noise stops with one sway bar link removed, there you go. You will probably need a metric Allen wrench (to hold the stud steady) and a regular metric wrench (to undo the nut).

If that test works, it's a good idea to have a new sway bar link installed, either DIY or at a shop. I don't think the sway bar does very much for you when driving on a smooth road in a straight line on a sunny day, but if any or all of those conditions aren't happening, it helps to have it there.

There is a bench test in the factory manual that involves spinning the ball joints on the links with a torque wrench, and both of my old ones took a lot more torque than that test called for. The new ones were within spec.