1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Don't know who to trust

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Pristina, Aug 28, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just a thought:
    The Scangauge can be used in other cars because it has generic functions. The XGAUGE allows Prius specific data access. But IF you should decide later you don't want it, post it 'for sale' in the Gen I forum and ask for 'bids.' The moderators might move the thread but I suspect you'll be able to sell it for enough to make up for most of the expense . . . especially if it has NHW11 specific XGAUGEs pre-loaded.

Bob Wilson

Pristina likes this.
  2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Avi,
    I can't tell you how great it is to have a resource like you, helping us, on this website. I always appreciate your posts and learn a lot from you.

Pristina likes this.
  3. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    All I see on the battery cover is 1 big warning sticker and a smaller one by the power plug. Part # is
    G928047050

4. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here are what the original battery should look like
    IMAG0770.jpg

IMAG0773.jpg

If it were replaced recently, it should have this sticker on the side. This sticker is hard to see when it is installed in the car.

IMAG0775.jpg

Is that the melted wire hiding in there?

Also replacement batteries have three large stickers on the cover (I don't have one around to take a pic of) similar to the one that is on the original cover.

I need to note that back in 2004 the stickers on replacements might of been the same as the originals. That was the year I found out what a Prius was and was not working on them yet.

5. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Probably! That is definitely what my cover looks like. Although I can't see the small, round sticker you show as a new one, which makes sense since I only have a superficial view now.

6. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok...
    I just dropped off my car with a transmission shop. I also brought him the fluid exchange breakdown. He told me that he will check things out and call me, but if there are signs of burning (?) that the service shouldn't be done or the transmission will quit. I will know more when he calls me with his diagnostic but does this make sense? Is it the same with Prius as would be with a regular car?

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tricky question. Quite often in my industry, customers will request transmission service after problems develop. It is common for the transmission problem to worsen as the service was performed to late and there is irreversible damage to it. To avoid being blamed for the failure, some repair shops will not replace fluid if the old fluid looks really bad or if there is a problem with the transmission. I personally decide what to do on a case by case basis, however, I feel changing the fluid on a Prius will not cause any problems to worsen. I'm sure everyone here will agree that the fluid should be changed no matter what.

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks so much. I have a friend who has tools and a shop where he works on bikes. He said I can use his things. The only thing is that he is in the next town over, and I don't know how my car will do on that long trip. If this guy bails, should I take it to my friend's shop and try to do it myself?

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not the same, and the transaxle ATF definitely should be changed.

You'll have to decide whether you have the ability to change the transaxle ATF yourself. If you want the transaxle drain pan to be removed and cleaned, this is not a really easy task for the neophyte.

Pristina likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    When he called me back I asked him to go ahead with the service. Since it is a specific fluid, he can't get it until tomorrow so he will do it then. He said there were no transmission codes although one came up that he referenced to air/fuel ratio. I will find out the code tomorrow.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Our Prius transmission is not like any, ordinary transmission. There are no clutches or clutch plates because MG1 handles that function under control of the Hybrid Vehicle ECU (HV ECU).

Ordinary, automatic transmissions have a lot of 'hidden' fluid that does not drain easily so it is common to hear about a "transmission flush." That is not needed (or appropriate) with the Prius transmission . . . not that it has been offered.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

13. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks very much. I am supposed to meet with him today to have the fluid replacement.
    Also...

Our Prius transmission is not like any, ordinary transmission. There are no clutches or clutch plates because MG1 handles that function under control of the Hybrid Vehicle ECU (HV ECU).

If I needed to have the ECU replaced, how would I come by one of those and about how much would they cost? Do you know? I am wondering if it has been damaged by whatever has compromised the wiring.

14. Pristina

Pristina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I spoke with Toyota today to inquire about SSC 40G. It turns out that it was done in Sept. '04. I think that insinuates it is still the original battery. If this service was already done, where does that leave me with the battery? Would you recommend trying to clean/seal it again? I have also requested that the full service history and any other possible service notices be mailed to me from the dealer.
    When the service manager called me back, he asked me to bring in my vehicle in order to inspect/decide if it is eligible for an extended warranty on a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) error. I would like to think of this as a possible reason for why the lights have been so persistant. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow night, but I am still having the ATF fluid replacement today.
    The battery level on the trip information has been dropping to 50% and on rare occasion 25% (usually right after I back out of the driveway). Is this normal? I have been trying to drive according to Bob Wilson's speed table recommendations and park in the shade whenever possible.
    Thanks for everything!!!

15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would recommend having the burnt wires replaced first. If that doesn't fix the problem, there is little chance that performing SSC 40G again will have any impact on the problem.

Yes, that appears to be normal. As I stated b4, your battery does not appear to be the problem. Once you get the tranny fluid changed, report back to us on the status of your p3009 code coming back. There is a slight chance that changing the tranny fluid will fix everything. If that doesn't fix it, the next most likely cause is the burned wires in the battery. These are also the cheapest things to fix so we need to do them first. If neither the fluid or wire replacement fix the problem, the next thing on my list is the HV battery and then MG2 but, I don't even want to go there yet.

I know the dealer says its the battery but, the symptoms don't really point to the battery. If you're still getting the codes after the tranny fluid change, I do suggest working w/ the dealer on MIL extended warranty. But...if that fails, its time to replace the burnt wires then go from there.

Pristina likes this.
  16. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Avi, Patrick and Bob,
    I just had a thought. If someone (the previous owner or someone else) put the wrong tranny fluid in could it cause a P3009 fault?

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not right away. I saw elevated levels of copper with Amsoil ATF. In theory, a 3d-party, transmission oil might cause all sorts of grief but it is not the type of experiment I want to perform. For example, molybdenum is an excellent lubricant but it is also conductive. I would NOT use a moly enhanced oil in a Prius transmission. I would also check the magnetic properties before testing different lubricant properties.

Bob Wilson

usnavystgc likes this.
  18. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I can help and enjoy doing so.

usnavystgc likes this.
  19. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only way I could see that happening would be if it was conducive or attacked and compromised the insulation. I don't feel either of those are likely. If I'm not mistaking newer fluids are made to not attack the newer types of plastics and rubbers found in newer transmissions, however, the coating on the stator wires should be resistant to any ATF. I'd like to note I could be wrong.

usnavystgc likes this.
  20. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lets take it one step at a time here. ;)

Pristina, usnavystgc and bwilson4web like this.