1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 - Error codes C1241, C1215, P0300 - no acceleration on freeway

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by AnitaT, Jan 18, 2017.

1. AnitaT

AnitaT New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 02 Prius with 146,000 miles. It's been a great little baby so far, and I am still on the original battery.

Lately, it has been acting weird (and very scary) on the freeway. In heavy, rush-hour stop and go traffic on the freeway, it hesitates and almost cuts off when I step on the gas. For a moment, it's dead, and then it will slowly lurch forward. The battery indicator on the Energy Monitor screen shows about 1/4 blue when this happens. This has happened three times: once about 6 months ago, and twice over the last two days.

This doesn't happen on surface streets, only on the freeway.

So far, no red triangle of death or warning lights.

Today, I took it in to the dealership and they found error codes C1241, C1215 and P0300, but were unable to tell me what this means or recreate my acceleration issue.

Anyone been through this? Is this my battery dying or something simple that can be repaired?

I'd like Little Betsy to give me a couple more years, but not if the repair is over $2K.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you need a new service centre.
    None of those codes point to the HV battery having problems. Whether the fix is simple or not cannot be determined at this stage.

The fact you don't have any dash lights on with these means that the lights are broken (not likely) or the codes are only pending codes.

C1241 points to a possible problem with the 12 V battery. How old is it? You need to have the battery checked and if found to be not performing, replace it. Check also the battery connections on the positive and negative poles and the ground connection to the car body. Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

P0300 is a general engine miss-fire and I can't find anything definitive for the C1215, so another member with access to the service manual will have to chip in on that. But we'll put those to the side for the moment.

So after checking the battery connections are good and tight and the condition of the battery ensure the battery is fully charged. I would then go ahead and disconnect the 12 V battery at the negative connection to the body for 30 sec, or so, and then reconnect. drive the car for a good 30 min city and highway, if possible. Re-scan the car for codes and see what codes, if any, come back.

Let us know how you get on.

AnitaT likes this.
  3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    C1241 is low voltage on the 12 v battery in the trunk. You need to check it with a multimeter or take it to O'Reilly's or Autozone and ask them to check it--they'll do it for free.

C1215 is related to C1241. It's a code for a low voltage solenoid.

The P0300 is a little more complicated. It's for a random misfire. Could be as easy as a plug and wire, or a coil that's gotten weak. Could be a burned valve. Could be a vacuum leak or a fuel delivery problem. From the symptoms you mention it sounds like a fuel delivery problem (like it's running out of gas.)

First thing, get the battery checked and replace if it's not tip-top. A low performing battery can cause all sorts of problems and the misfire. It controls all sorts of systems. Then check the codes again. All the problems may resolve themselves with a new battery.

I agree with my friend from down under. It's unacceptable that a dealer pulls the codes (you paid for this) and won't explain what they mean. I would definitely take it to another shop, preferably an independent shop that advertises that they are hybrid competent.

I have a Techstream set up and would pull your codes for nothing, but I'm in Tucson. You might check out on the general areas of this forum, and other Prius forums for someone in your area that can do a quick, free scan. They need the program and a Mini VCI cable to check it.

AnitaT likes this.
  4. AnitaT

AnitaT New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I ended up getting the red triangle of death a few weeks ago, and decided to trade in for a 2014 prius three. Figured i had gotten 14 good years out of it, and wasn't worth pouring money into repairs at this point.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    smart move. congrats, all the best!(y)

6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the fancy new ride!

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For any future readers (or the new owners of the 2002), while C1215 and C1241 do refer to out-of-range voltage, they're talking about the voltage as measured at the brake actuator, not the battery. So while the 12 volt battery is a possible suspect, it's far from the only one (and even a little unlikely, if these codes are coming in READY mode when the DC/DC converter is in charge of the voltage). Several lengths of wire, connectors, and fuses are also in the picture.

The manual gives about five pages of testing steps to pin down the cause of a C1215, and about three pages for C1241. It's not difficult diagnosis, but it has to be done; the codes by themselves don't fully pin down the cause.

-Chap

8. Cosmo Tigato

Cosmo Tigato Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks

#8 Cosmo Tigato, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  9. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hey Anita, if you don't mind me asking, how much did they "claim" to give you for it on trade-in? I would have loved to buy it from you.