1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius appears to be leaking A/C

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not exactly. You'll need at least 1 can of refrigerant in addition. You need to get it up to something close to full charge for the low pressure sensor to turn off so the compressor can run. The stethoscope is a nice idea, but my experience is that that doesn't work very well. Try it tho, then take it to a shop nearby if you can't find the problem. Lots of them have AARP and AAA discounts.

2. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What if I get these items instead?

340mm R134A Car Air Conditioning Refrigerant Recharge Measuring Kit Hose Gauge | eBay
    DuPont Suva R-134a Automobile Refrigerant (Quantity Of 1 Can) | eBay
    Mini Aluminum UV ULTRA VIOLET 9 LED FLASHLIGHT BLACKLIGHT Torch Light Lamp G MAC | eBay
    Interdynamics R134a AC Leak Detector Detection with UV Dye 330 | eBay

Pepboys charges $35+ just to do the test so I think it's not a bad way to spend less than $30.

#22 primuspaul, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Do you by any chance know if the hi/lo valves are positioned in such a way (in the Prius I) as to physically allow that hose to be easily attached to either one?

5. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The low side uses a different fitting from the high side. That hose you listed is for the low side. The low side fitting is between the inverter and the air filter. Easy to get to. The high side is over near the driver's fender, also easy to get to.

6. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks. I'll put the order in. It will take a while to get here from China. Not an emergency, just something I want to do. If it's a hose that's leaking, it might be an easy fix. If it's a busted compressor, I'll just forget about it.

One more thing: I think the Prius takes 18 oz of the stuff. Will it be enough to detect leaks if I only put in a few oz (less than specs)? I assume I would just empty the refrigerant can and then add the die can since the total oz is less than the spec for the system.

#26 primuspaul, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  7. TomWA

TomWA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If the leak is small enough (pressure stays for few days) you can get away with leak seal and cleaning ports. If pressure does not hold long enough and you have smell inside. It is very likely a leak in evaporator core.