1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Display Help

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by red-one, Apr 14, 2017.

1. red-one

red-one New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello all!
    I recently installed a factory CD player in my wife's 2002 Prius. The car didn't have one initially so I got a CD player with the "Y" cable. Installation was easy and it worked fine initially. Now, her MPG shoots to 100 when she's accelerating and reads 0 when she's coasting. Also, the battery consistently reads around 50% all the time. These things started about 5 days after installing the CD player. Any suggestions?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Enter the diagnostic screen on the display panel (lots of threads on here have the steps) and go to the screen that shows which devices are connected, with OK or NG next to each, and see what's listed, what shows as OK and what shows as NG. I'm guessing your Gateway ECU might be showing as NG; that's one of the ways information from the rest of the car's systems gets communicated to the display.

You might unhook your CD player cable, put everything back as it was, and see if you can get everything (except the CD) to show as OK on the diag screen. Then start retracing steps.

It could be as simple as the Y cable not passing certain circuits through, or being misassembled; it happens. You can look in the wiring diagram to see how things are supposed to be connected, and figure out what isn't.

-Chap

RCO and red-one like this.
  3. red-one

red-one New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the response. I did unhook the CD player and Y cable and it seems everything went back to normal. I will try to find the Y cable wiring diagram. It is pretty obvious that the cable is Toyota OEM so I will try to see if it's wired correctly and go from there.
    Thanks again,
    red-one

RCO likes this.