1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius, does it really have side air bags?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sandy Meyers, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was just re-reading my 2002 Prius owners manual! I distinctly remember when purchasing this car that the side air bags were not an option, and not even available for order back in 2001 when I purchased my car. I waited six months for delivery. Now that I'm actually reading the manual in my spare time since I'm sort of retired, I see it makes reference to side air bags! Okay, what the heck is going on?! I'm not complaining and I don't think I'm losing my mind yet, but does anyone know how to tell if the car really has side air bags?

Attached Files:

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess they were not an option because they were standard on all Prius? Just a guess. Of course, you need to be careful what seat covers are used when you have the side airbags.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2001 did not have them (lacked the wiring for nav too, which was present in later Gen 1s).

Your 2002? Well, check the seat back upholstery. If there are little tags stitched into the side seams near the doors that say 'SRS airbag' or the like, then you have them.

... and if you have them, get out of the habit of resting your elbow on the door armrest ....

-Chap

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'll have to check this out! I've never really noticed. Navigation was a $2000 option for 2002 from what I recall, and I passed on purchasing. Toyota also sent many owners a copy of the 2001 owners manual as a gift while we waited for delivery of our cars! I thought it a bit odd. The accompanying letter indicated the models were the same. I guess it was Toyota's way of keep us early owners occupied while we waited 6 months for delivery of our Prius. And yes, it was a full 6-month wait!

#4 Sandy Meyers, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  5. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, do I feel like a dummy!

The 2002 Toyota Prius does have side air bags! Yup, the SRS is right there stamped in the plastic molding along the bottom of the chair. It could not be more obvious if you were looking for it. Why this item was listed as an option along with navigation yet unable to be ordered is confounding. Nevertheless I'm very pleased, very happy and continue to be a happy Prius owner. 93,000+ miles and still going after 16+ years!