1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius high coolant temperature warning light on and can't rev/drive

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by skboopalms, Jan 31, 2013.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, you're right. I just really didn't think about the oil bathed area the winding is in. That def makes me think twice about the rewind shop idea. I have never discussed what goes into rewinding a motor that is oil bathed. I did see some motor rewind shops that specifically mention they have the capability to rewind an oil filled motor though.

Edit: From all the research I have done, it doesn't look like its too tough for a competent motor rewind shop to do this. It just seems to me that this should be the cheapest, most environmentally friendly way to fix this problem. If I encounter this problem, I will attempt this type of fix.

2. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked into having MG2 re-wound...prices were $700-$900, not worth the risk when you can get brand new OEM stator for $1100 or so (online OEM parts sellers), and complete good used trannies for around $1000

If re-widing costs $200-$300, then it would be worth trying.

However, test your windings first. Usually P3009 is bad stator. If you don't have P3009 probably something else is wrong.

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What gets me is one raddiator hose is cold the other hot, definitely.a circulation issue going on. I would think about first getting that resolved then trying to drive the car and see what happens. Let me ask you, when you drive this car, does it shudder in reverse, or in forward. Th hv battery leak, easy fix if you have electrical common sense, can use a wrench/ratchet, possibly corrosion issue on hv battery terminals causing the leak. A shop is going to wanna stick you and dupe you into replacing the hv battery for thousands. Stick with us, we can help you save some money on this. But first, replace that thermostat and let's see what happens. Maybe even take a short video of you driving it and posting it here so we can hear the car drive.

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Following. Interested in the outcome.