1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius - no start with recently rebuilt hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Cj's Garage, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've been lurking around here checking posts and gleaning what I can when I need to work on my car, but I haven't joined until now.

My 2002 Prius has 245k miles on it. Earlier this year while using the "B" to charge the battery pack while coasting I heard a bang from the back. I eventually got around to removing the hybrid battery to find an exploded module, blew a nice big crack in one of the 38 battery modules. I tested a few of the other battery modules and ended up replacing about 13 of them with eBay battery modules.

The car sat for about 2 months because life got in the way, work went through some crazy stages and i could give about 2 or 3 other excuses. I finally got around to putting the hybrid battery back in two days ago. But now the car won't start. I have the 12V battery on a charger, it was replaced at the same time I just put the hybrid battery back in.
    Now the READY doesn't display on the dash and I have check engine lights for P1636, P3002, and P3030. I'm using an OTC Genisys to pull the codes, I can't seem to get the custom data stream up for being able to read the battery SOC or module pairs.

Any help from you fine people? I think I may have to take the battery out again and go through the connections

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • Did you just reassemble the pack, or did you charge and balance the pack?
    • How old is the 12 volt battery?
    • What is the voltage of the 12 volt reading after sitting overnight?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Cj's Garage likes this.
  3. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    You did not fully reinsert the hv safety fuse

4. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    4est, you might be right about that HV safety fuse, I'll go run out and check that thing.

Ray, I only reassembled it. I don't have the proper chargers to do the Prius batteries. I have a few IMAX B6 chargers around here, but I don't think they'll work for the Prius. The 12V battery is about a year old, currently on a charger. I can let you know what the battery voltage is tomorrow morning when I've finished charging the 12V battery.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I went out and checked it by pulling it and replacing it. It was in there as firmly as it will go. Thanks for the suggestion though, I was hoping that was it...

6. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @Tideland Prius or other moderators: looks like my reply posts are being held up
    "this message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors."

7. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Get Techstream for diagnostics. This will let you see the HV battery and give you correct analysis of the codes. It's cheap to buy and worth every penny.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Cj's Garage and Brian in Tucson like this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can do the individual modules separately then assemble the pack ;).

Takes awhile but you’ve at least conditioned the modules to hopefully extend the repair:).

Might be worth a shot(y).

9. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You really need Techstream and the mini VCI cable. Install it in an old laptop that doesn't connect to the internet. It will allow you to measure the individual voltages of all the modules. My guess is that some of the modules that you installed are so low in voltage that they don't allow enough voltage to start the IC. A low 12v battery can do this too, but you can connect a standard car battery in with a jumper cable to provide proper voltage. Just replacing modules doesn't solve the problem, they need to go thru a balancing and reconditioning regime. Google "Prolong" or "Hybrid Automotive" and read up on it. Short of buying the system, this is a difficult undertaking.

Is this your car, or a customer's car? & where N. Cal are you? There's a wonderful shop in SF, called Luscious Garage. Google them, too. Might end up flatbedding it to them for attention.

You can get the Mini VCI on Ebay or Amazon, btw.

Itsmeonprius likes this.
  10. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Did you first push it and then slide it?

11. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @4est, I have a first gen prius. The video you sent is for the 3rd gens, slightly different. Mine just pushes in and has a horseshoe clip that rotates 90* to lock it in place

@Brian in Tucson, this is my personal car. I don't think my max b6 chargers can do the prius batteries. I tried it a few different ways but it doesn't have the right settings to not swell the battery modules. Is there something I missed and maybe I can use the IMAX b6 chargers to cycle the Prius modules back to good health?

@Raytheeagle, same question to you. Can I use the IMAX B6 chargers to cycle the Prius batteries?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    @Brian in Tucson, I'm in the Sierras about 3 hours east of Luscious Garage. I'm not yet that desperate to put the car back together. As a lifelong mechanic myself, my pride and my wallet unfortunately prevent me from physically taking the car to another shop. It's not out of the question but I'll hold off until I'm too frustrated to continue working through it myself.

13. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    alright all, I just bought the VCI cable, it will arrive on Friday.

Edit: does anyone know why I keep getting "this message is waiting on approval from moderators"? message?

#13 Cj's Garage, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  14. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Oh, sorry. I missred 2012
    Hopefully the obd codes will shed some light

Cj's Garage likes this.
  15. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    And you have too few posts so you must wait for approval

16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The charger you referenced should be able to charge individual modules, not the whole pack at once;).

Hybrid automotive in San Jose makes a charger for the entire pack:).

But maybe start with whatcha got(y).

17. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are some basics to run through on a car that has been sitting.

Preparation is key before trying to start it.

Make sure all modules are similar in voltage. Say 7.5v or so.
    Check all voltage connections on HV battery with inch-pound torque wrench
    Make sure 12v is good. Say 12.5v or so.
    Make sure orange plug is inserted.
    Make sure fuel is getting to front of car.

Clean MAF sensor
    Clean throttle body
    Sop up extra oil inside too of intake
    Reassemble

When you are ready to give it a try...
    Spray starter fluid down the intake
    Quickly hop in car and try to start it
    QuickkQ hop back out ande keep spraying fluid as needed to keep it running until car takes over.
    You only have a few attempts at this before you drive the HV battery too low.

Having Techstream will be invaluable so you can see all the data.

Replacing such a large number of modules is going to be a challenge long term. That is a lot of variability. Car may not like it.

Call me directly for other details/advice about your plight.
    608-729-4082.

Brian in Tucson and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I did try using the IMAX B6 for the modules (note: it worked wonders for the Honda Civic Hybrid battery modules) but it seemed to overcharge the Prius battery modules every time. I can't find where I can limit the voltage on it. The rate of charge was fine but the IMAX chargers would charge around 8.7V - 9.5V IIRC, and the prius battery modules would swell if I left the charger on for more than say 20 minutes.

19. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One

Eric, thanks so much for all the good advice. The problem I'm up against at the exact moment is that I can't get the car to display READY on the dash. I turn the key, I can see all the dash lights, but no READY. And the check engine light is on, showing codes P1636, P3030, and P3002. I think once it gets showing READY, I can get the poor bugger started.

20. Suppin

Suppin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P3030 : search google lusciousgarage toyota_prius_code_p3030_high_voltage_line_snapped

Sounds like there might be something loose in the harness? or maybe your harness was damaged when the battery exploded?
    They have an example of a fractured harness tab at the at that page.