1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius - no start with recently rebuilt hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Cj's Garage, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks Suppin. The battery exploded near one of the temp sensors clipped in to the top. I hope it didn't damage the wiring harness on the sides. I'm waiting until the VCI cable gets here tomorrow so I can check individual module pairs for voltage. Hopefully that will lead me to where the P3030 is coming from. Once I've got that sorted I'll probably have to charge up each battery in the pack and see if that will help me get what I need.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Snapped sensor code
    Some possibilities...
    - too loose or too tight/stripped connections at the post.
    - breaks in the voltage sensing wires at the crimp connector in the wire frame.
    - corrosion at the HV ecu pins, connector, or on the circuit board

You don't need a computer to check for this. You just need you eyes and an inch-pound torque wrench. (A cheap one is less than $25, or you may be able to wrench/borrow one from the parts store)

3. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bought the Mini VCI from Amazon, this one to be precise:

The disc it came with never loaded onto my laptop so I chose to download tech stream elsewhere. I got it up and running, got the connection made on my car (DLC check indicates that it reads power and ground and information) but I can't connect to the car - nothing happens when I click Connect to Vehicle. Oh lord have mercy what have I done now?
    I was hoping to use the tech stream to pinpoint where the P3030 might be so I don't have to go through the entire wiring harness on all 38 modules and the associated computers back there.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sometimes It is a Com Port issue and where the drivers are.

Maybe try switching the usb outlet on your laptop and see if it still has an issue.

5. Suppin

Suppin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you install it on a 32 bit system or a 64 bit system? The software available online generally behaves much better on an older 32 bit system. Maybe pull out that old laptop and give it a try?

6. 4est

4est Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Excel
    Use a vm and install it there on 32 bit os

7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will have to open up the pack and use your eyes regardless of whether or not you get techstrTec working.
    If it is an obvious break you might be able to find the problem in under 10 minutes once everything is opened up.

8. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I took the top metal lid off the pack, no obvious breaks. All the nuts were snug on the posts. I'm going to try cleaning and wire brushing the sensing wires and checking continuity across sections to see if there's something I can't see with my eyes.

Brian in Tucson and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    With regard to the 32-bit vs 64-bit, I don't have any older laptops. I use an apple computer at home, I grabbed my brother's two laptops, installed the software on both, did the registry edits on both. I didn't have success with either one, but I will try again after I finish tidying up the HV battery and chasing wiring harness issues in the busbar harness. Ugh, this is so frustrating. I like this car a lot but it's beginning to wear on me that this issue has taken so long to solve.
    I should have bought a Dorman hybrid battery and saved myself the trouble, hey?

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You think this is fun, you’ll be doing similar things with a Dorman;).

Keep plugging away, you’ll get there(y).

Cj's Garage and Brian in Tucson like this.
  11. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing with anything other than an OEM battery from Toyota is that they are rebuilt using old modules. There is an outfit that rebuilds using gen 2 or later modules, still not the best alternative, tho. And they're all kinda expensive and the money would be a good start on an OEM replacement.

Google Luscious Garage, they have a good discussion on HV batteries

The previous owner of my 02 bought an OEM battery at 168K in Oct. 13.. Now the car is at 206K and five years later the battery is working like new. It's an expensive investment, but on cars that are basically sound, it does seem to pay off.

Since I bought mine 18 months ago, I've replaced the booster pump, the coolant pump for the inverter, and the catalytic converter & one O2 sensor. OTOH, I took it from Tucson to Newport OR for the eclipse in '17, fun drive and great mileage. My 02 is one of my favorite cars of all time (I'm newly turned 67.) It was a $400 fixer upper.

#31 Brian in Tucson, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Raytheeagle and Cj's Garage like this.
  12. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The way I set my Techstream up was I got on C/L and found a guy selling refurb'd Windows XP laptops, mine was a Dell and cost me $35. Installing the software was relatively Easy Peasy. The old laptop is dedicated, I removed the modem so that it can't go online, doesn't need updates (NLA) and is very stable

Raytheeagle, Cj's Garage and 4est like this.
  13. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    A routine cleaning solved my issues with the sense wiring. I have it back together and checked the codes again -- only P1636 and P3002 have returned, suggesting to me that I need to check the connections between the HV ECU and the ECM. This PDF (http://60.18.143.13:8009/丰田系列/丰田普锐斯/5771 丰田Prius维修手册——原厂 英2003 pdf/5771 丰田Prius维修手册——原厂 英2003.pdf) has been really helpful in trouble tree-ing the codes. I'll VOM it today and report back. In the meantime I have to finish the top end assembly on my 4Runner. Oh the joys...

14. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This car was an inexpensive fixer upper as well. I've recently replaced the inverter pump as well. The HV battery was replaced at least once before I got it, I'm hoping that this rebuild is sufficient to last me a couple years with it. Thanks for all your help!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Does anyone know what the acceptable voltage range at ECM should be for checking across HTE+ & HTE- ? I read 2.40V with the voltmeter just now. I'm thinking because I have P1636 and P3002 that there might be an issue with the HV ECU, right? Doesn't P1636 suggest a communication error with the ECM and P3002 suggests a comm error with the battery ECU?

16. Suppin

Suppin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you had a corrosion problem causing your p3030. It’s possible you just need to clean your connectors to the hv ecu, due to corrosion spreading to them. I say clean them real good, and try again.

17. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Also, I forgot to mention that any time the key is ON the radiator fan comes on and runs endlessly until I turn the key off again.

18. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Does anyone have a known good HV ECU that I can purchase?

19. Cj's Garage

Cj's Garage New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I don't currently have a P3030, its just the 1636 and the 3002 that remain now. I think it suggests that the HV ECU is failed..

20. Suppin

Suppin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand. I was saying check the harness for the hv ecu for corrosion. At least before buying another hv ecu