1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius, replaced auxiliary battery

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by wcf, Jun 19, 2020.

1. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    all. Long-time lurker from way back, but first time posting here. The auxiliary battery in my 2002 Prius gave up last Sunday. The car was in a parking lot and wouldn't start. The AAA service person jump started the car and tested the battery, said it was low at 12.0v, that it should ideally be at 12.8v or 12.9v, and recommended that I take it in for a test and replacement. I drove about 30 miles home after that, and while in Costco's parking lot (wanted to get gas, was down to two bars), the Triangle of Death and Check Engine lights came on, and within seconds the screen went black and the car stalled. Had to ask the friendly folks at Costco's auto dept for another jump start, drove to the gas station, filled up, restarted the engine, and got home fine. By Monday morning, pushing the power lock button in the driver-side door couldn't unlock the other doors. We jump started it a third time Wed night to park it at the closest dealership's lot, and then a fourth time yesterday to take it from that lot to another dealer that had a 12v battery in stock. Interestingly, after the fourth jump start, all the warning lights cleared. The second dealership installed a Toyota TrueStart battery, and we hope all's well now.

My two questions:
    1. Is it typical for the warning lights to go away by themselves?
    2. We're not 100% certain, but we think that this may have been the aux original battery. I'm the original owner, and we don't remember ever replacing the aux battery. in the almost 18 years we've had the car. It says S34B20L on the top and GS on the side. Are we likely to run into problems size-wise, the next time we need to replace the aux battery, since we don't have the battery tray kit that came with the Panasonic upgrade that we never got? The technicians who put in the TrueStart yesterday didn't seem to have a problem, and they didn't mention anything about adding a tray, but I wonder if we look around for a used tray kit from a scrapped gen 1 car for future use.

2. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, warning lights do go way by themselves. Some codes will clear if the error condition does not reoccur over time. One way to clear all the codes is by disconnection the 12v battery.

There are some post here talking about how a low 12V battery can cause erroneous engine codes to appear, which do not indicate an actual fault. It has something to do with the sensor not having a good reference voltage.

3. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    A bad 12V aux can do all sorts of wacky things and trigger all manner of codes. (Think of it this way - all codes are pretty much triggered by out of spec voltage readings inside of electrical circuits). So until you have a known good aux battery with known good connections, I wouldn't pay attention to any codes.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For future reference, if you need to have a jump start performed on your vehicle, it takes a Prius several hours to get the 12v battery recharged to a suitable level. Getting a jump, then driving a few minutes and turning the car off is a recipe for immediately needing another jump.

And warning lights will always clear themselves when the 12v battery dies. Loss of 12v power will cause all the car ecus to reset to default, including fault memory.

5. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for responses. Not sure all's well with the new 12v battery. Twice in a week now, when I turned the ignition, the fuel gauge went down to one blinking bar, even though I knew it had a full tank. The first time, I turned it off and restarted a couple of times, and it went back up to full. The second time, I drove for about 3 mins with the one blinking bar, pulled into a parking spot, shifted into park, and the gauge returned to full, without turning off the engine. No warning lights, and haven't had any trouble starting up, or winding windows up or down, so not sure what to make of it.

Also, I have a bluetooth transmitter with a voltage reader that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and it's been reading between 11.8V to 12.6V after the car's been sitting without being driven for a couple of days. It goes up to 13.8 when the engine's running. I don't know how accurate the reader is. Am wondering if what TMR-JWAP wrote about needing several hours of driving to get it recharged to a suitable level applies to a brand-new aux battery too, and if I just have to keep driving it.

6. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This sounds like the possibility of a parasitic draw - i.e. something is pulling power when the car is off. Some draw is present on all of today's cars but too much does create battery issues. I'm actually not completely certain about the Prius, but a rule of thumb is that anything over about 100milliamps w the car off (given enough time for all modules to go to sleep and all that) is too much.

This is good. It means it is being recharged / maintained when the car is on.

7. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A trickle charger is handy to top off the battery, or if the car is going to sit for long periods of time.

8. wcf

wcf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On a happier note, it was reading 12.4v - 12.5v this week. I don't know what could be the source of a parasitic draw, if there's one. It was on its original battery till a couple weeks ago, and there hadn't been any issues all these years. We have our 150k service appointment at a local shop this week; I'll mention it to them and ask if they can figure it out.

I remember reading about solar trickle chargers back in the day, on the Yahoo Prius owners' group. Does this forum have a favourite brand of trickle chargers?