1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius Rough Idle

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by buddy77, Jun 25, 2014.

1. buddy77

buddy77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2002 Prius that idles really rough for a min or two when first started. Recently got check engine codes 300, 301, 302, & 303 for misfires. Also have had the red triangle with a 3191 fail to start code. When I get the 3191 it will start after a couple attempts. Mileage has dropped to mid 30's. 227k miles & other than the idle problem the car runs well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Clean the throttle body interior and throttle plate. Remove the air cleaner housing, spray some throttle body cleaner on a clean cloth, and scrub off the dirt in the throttle body and throttle plate with the cloth.

2. Replace the iridium spark plugs using the correct NGK or Denso plugs as specified in the owner's manual.

3. buddy77

buddy77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick. I should have mentioned that I did the throttle body, maf, & plugs. I am leaning towards the injectors. Is there a product (Seafoam) that I can add to the fuel or should I remove and clean / replace them? It's a friends car & its possible that the injectors have never been serviced.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the fuel injectors would be the next logical area to investigate. You can try Chevron Techron or an additive of your choice first; then if that doesn't work, remove the injectors and clean or replace them. Don't forget to replace the sealing O-rings as well.

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We did a test here about a year ago with another member's injectors who was having a rough-running problem. He first tried injector cleaner in the fuel tank, and still had the problem, so he replaced the injectors and the problem was solved. Instead of tossing the old ones, he sent them to an injector servicing facility in Michigan and I paid for them to be reconditioned, with a flow and pattern test before (they sucked) and after (excellent). See this post for the test results.

The test strongly suggests that the fuel tank additive products don't do much, but the off-car reconditioning restores them to excellent performance. There's a write-up at importtuner.com of a similar test with the same conclusion.

I still have that reconditioned set, make an offer if you're interested. With a good set on hand, you could just replace them in one go and have the car on the road, without any downtime from sending the old ones for reconditioning and waiting to get them back. Then if you wanted to, you could get the old ones reconditioned as a spare set, or pass them along to another member.

-Chap

edit: By the way, I've read (but not confirmed for myself) that you may be able to identify dirty injectors with a good auto stethoscope: listen for the sharp metallic tinktinktinktinktink of a clean one versus thupthupthupthupthup of a dirty one while the engine is running.

6. buddy77

buddy77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read that you can use a long screwdriver with your ear @ the end to id bad injectors as well. There is a $75 tool (EFI quick probe) that does the same thing. If I had read this earlier I would have made an offer on your injectors, but I purchased 4 Denso remans for $90 off Ebay earlier. Appears the old injectors were leaking. When I went to remove them, the area was very dirty & there was fuel puddled around them. Also, they were not Denso....so does this mean not factory....someone has previously replaced them? One injector has a shiny tip with a red o ring. Does that mean anything? As always...thanks for the advice...awesome site! I have some good gen 1 & gen 2 battery cells if anyone has a need.

Attached Files: