1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius snow equipment

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, Nov 16, 2014.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Winter is approaching and I wanted to get the car ready for winter. The biggest issue would obviously be traction with the small, fuel-efficient wheels. The most effective option would be to get a set of new rims with studded tires, but this is too expensive. I was hoping for a <$100 solution, such as tire chains. My biggest concern is reliability. I don't want the chains coming off and damaging my car. Suggestions?

2. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I wanted to add a follow up question. I read that traction control can be disabled in a prius by performing a few procedures in 60 seconds. Is this true for the classic prius that I have?

3. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have standard size tires Kumho Solus KR21 for over a year now and last winter they were amazing. I went through some conditions that many others were having troubles including 4x4 vehicles. The CVT transmission is amazing for starting and the handling and braking is about what I would expect from a compact car. Just get some good tires and drive with a brain and you should be fine.
    TomK

royfrontenac likes this.