1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius wanting to buy HID conversion kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by myfootsmells, Oct 9, 2006.

1. myfootsmells

myfootsmells New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    i'm looking to purchase an H4 HID conversion kit for my 2002 prius. has anyone done this before? is it going to affect the battery in any way?

mods: wasnt sure if this was the right forum, please move if necessary.

thanks

myfootsmells

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I know of. It shouldn't affect the battery since it uses less power. Just note that with these kits, your whole headlight compound will light up (like those RSXs with HID kits) so instead of a nice cut off look like you see on the current gen, you'll have a nice bluish shape of your headlight.

Anyway, just make sure you have space for the ballast and what not.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've done this on my '05. Keep in mind that it is illegal because your (halogen) headlight housing will emit a pattern not too clean with some glare even after adjustments.

I do believe it consumes less electricity once running (35watts) compared to the standard (55w). I have a dual beam meaning that there's an HID bulb and halogen bulb next to each other... the halogen does nothing in terms of extra illumination so its only function is to cause attention via high beam. Is this clear?

Anyway, I bought mine on ebay. Out of the "cheap" but decent kits are McCulloch and Bohmen. Phillips is by far the best, but expect them in the $400+ range for single beam.

By retrofit, did you really put a projector housing into your Prius housing? All I did was install the HID kit and pointed my headlights a bit downwards, but this isn't really retrofitting.