1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius weight capabilities

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, Nov 8, 2015.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I need to carry 2,000 lbs of cargo in my Prius (plus the weight of the driver and regular equipment/misc items). It will be a distance of under 10 miles and on local roads, so speeds will likely not exceed 40 mph. Can the car handle this without being damaged?

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What weighs 2000 pounds and still fits in a Gen1 Prius? Gold bars, concrete? ;)

I agree with the multiple trips, 3 or 4 would be best. I believe most small cars have a carrying capacity of 800-1000lbs. With 2000 extra pounds, you'd probably be pushing or exceeding the limits of your tires (and just about everything else).

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We already have a reference for what happens at 3,000 pounds, including suspension mounts popping up through the floor. Don't be that guy.

There is a sticker inside your driver's door giving the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GWVR), 3615 pounds (I'm going by my 2001, '02 shouldn't be much different). In the New Car Features Manual you can look up the curb weight of the car empty (2765 pounds). Subtract the two -> 850 pounds tops, I think that's 50 pounds over the published weight rating of 800. That includes you and any passengers. Your Gen 1 isn't a truck. :) So make at least three trips.

If you will be loading anywhere close to that max capacity, you need to also pay attention to weight distribution. The GVWR is not the last word, it is also split up into Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR) for the front and rear separately, also both on your door label. 1970 pounds front, 1685 pounds rear. Back to the New Car Features Manual, you can check what the car already weighs on both axles: 1700 front, 1065 rear. The hybrid transaxle makes it very front-heavy to begin with. So however you distribute your load (including you), it needs to balance at no more than 270 pounds added to the front and no more than 620 at the rear (and not even both of those at the same time, because that would exceed the GVWR).

For an example of how you can do the math, check here.

-Chap

4. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So anyway, I ended up getting significantly less than I originally planned, so the car had only about 1,000 lbs in it. No dashboard lights or strange sounds. How do I tell if I damaged the car, the suspension specifically?

5. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1000lbs isn't too bad. The car isn't going to snap in half by barely exceeding the limit for a one time drive. You should be fine as long as you don't make it a regular thing.