1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 prius with 290431 miles died

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tomclifton, Jan 31, 2013.

1. tomclifton

tomclifton New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    HI Guys,
    I bought my 2002 prius with 120000 miles. Last night it died with the main battery light and triangle of death on. I haven't taken it to a dealer to have the codes checked out you, but will do it soon. My daughter was driving it when it happened and said the car started shuttering and died. She was able to drive it a few feet at a time before it would die again. Does this sound like a HV battery problem? I will be digging into it tonight. Thanks, tom

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a transaxle problem but there's really not enough info at this point.

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When you get it to the dealer, have them read the codes, and tell you what they are, why, because you want to know, and so do the tech heads at PriusChat!
    With that info, you can get the dealers idea of what is wrong and how much they want to charge you to repair what ever is wrong vs PC techies possibly giving you a less expensive route to get your baby running again!

Of course, with that many miles, and that is the largest amount that I have ever heard of, maybe it's time to check out a "c" and upgrade the ride!

Good Luck!!!

4. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Tom, where is the sick car located? Someone on PC might be close enough to give you advice in person, and chances are it will be better advice than the $tealership.

scotman27 and Bob Hahn like this.
  5. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's awesome. This may be the most fellowship I've ever seen for owners of a car. I mean this is really amazing. You guys are awesome!

yotatoter, Merkey and JMD like this.
  6. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I dont like the shuddering part. but yes most definitely get the codes pulled. you can also try this.
    Disconnect the 12 volt battery in the trunk for a minute or so then reconnect it to clear the codes. then follow this: Give credit to USNAVYSTGC not me.

The first step is to clear the trouble code and then turn the key to key on/not ready mode, wait 30 seconds and if the code comes back, the leak is in the battery case. If the code does not set, turn key to "ready mode" and immediately shift to neutral and stay this mode for 30 seconds. If the code returns, the leak is in the power cables or inverter. If the code did not set, shift to drive and if the code resets now, the leak is in the transaxle. This is something that can be done in minutes with a scan tool while never removing any components and not leaving the driver seat.

try this see what happens. but really we would like to see those codes. you could also go to autozone and for about 160 pick up a scangauge and use that to read the codes and clear them for this test rather than go to the stealership.

yotatoter, Merkey and KK6PD like this.
  7. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    yeah, where ya located.

8. tomclifton

tomclifton New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thanks guys! I live in Kentland, IN southeast of Chicago and the closest dealership is an hour south to Lafayette, IN. Started it up, to my amazement, after work tonight and it revved up and down for a couple minutes settled down and I put it in gear and reverse and nothing happened. It was frozen in place (as in rain snow and ice when it happened now 15 degrees) I rocked it back and forth by hand and broke it loose. I was able to drive it shuttering bad for 20 feet when it died. The main battery light check engine light brake light and triangle. I will try scottman27 suggestion in the afternoon when I get home from work tomorrow. Again, thanks for the advise. My other car is a 67vw camper bus and always looking for advise with that one!

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I'll add my vote in favor of picking up something like a ScanGauge II and reading out some codes first ... before doing anything that clears codes. After that, if there were codes for a high voltage leak you might try the procedure above to figure out where it is (though the way you describe the symptoms is already raising strong suspicions).

If you pick up a ScanGauge II it will not read the necessary codes out of the box, but only after you program it to, which is a kind of tedious process with the four buttons on the front, like sending texts on an old phone. We can point you to the programming information.

I'm in Lafayette so I'm just as far from you as the dealer, and the first things we all want to know are the codes.

Good luck!
    -Chap

10. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    that dont sound good, the shuddering. that is starting to sound like the mg2 failed. i sure hope not.

11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keep us informed.

12. tomclifton

tomclifton New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wasn't able to get anything done today. If I tow it to lafayette tomorrow it will cost $50 in gas. The last I knew it was $80 to read codes at dealer. I guess it will be cost effective to buy one of those code readers. I'm willing to spend $150. What is recommended by youall?

13. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I own and have experience with the ScanGauge II as do others in this forum.
    I have no experience with this one. The Utube videos suggest it is a Tech-Stream knockoff but as I pointed out, I have no hands-on with it.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

15. tomclifton

tomclifton New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ScanGauge II can be programed for 2002 prius with no problem? Where do I get the program code?

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The sticky thread "AE Pig-tail and code flasher" has a table. Programming XGAUGEs is about as difficult as sending a cell phone text message ... lots of button pushing.

Bob Wilson

17. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I got scangauge 2 awesome for the prius. just contact the makers of scangauge (Linear Logic) and tell them you bought a scangauge for your 2002 prius and you need the modified cable, they will send it for free. I got my scangauge a month ago, and they are still sending the cables for free. the stock cable that come with it generates false brake/abs codes. nothing to worry about but its annoying. best value.

18. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Scangauge is a nice unit for basic codes and Prius specific data if you configure Xgauges, however, it does not read all the Prius error codes and/or INF (subcodes). The best tool for diagnosing the Prius is Toyota Techstream (factory software) but you are supposed to license the software from Toyota and buy a $500 Mongoose cable. I know some people have purchased a Chinese "Mangoose" cable that came with a pirate version of Techstream. YMMV, but if you can acquire a version of Techstream and interface that works that is your best bet.

19. tomclifton

tomclifton New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    took it to the dealer today & here are the codes:
    P0300
    P0301
    P0402
    P1636
    P3000
    P3100
    P3106
    P3120
    P3125
    P3009
    C1215
    C1241
    C1259
    C1551
    doesn't sound good!
    I'll be looking for a 08-09 Prius with 30,000-60,000 miles.
    thanks, tom

BritBug and PriusGuy32 like this.
  20. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am gonna stick my neck out and suggest that you might have a bad battery pack ,when you have one or more very bad module it will cause the engine to stop. It also sounds like your transmission might be bad based on the codes and shuddering while driving. thats my 2 cents worth. There are other experts on here that far out rank me and they can tell you much better than I can. The other codes can result from your battery or trans. codes..Good luck..

JMD likes this.