1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius with exhaust holes in the two piece catalytic converter!!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by aswresm, Dec 27, 2014.

1. aswresm

aswresm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have some holes in the catalytic converter of my 2002 Prius.....Has anyone find a cheap replacement solution for these expensive parts......Is it possible to weld these holes (some of them are under the Catalytic converter metal shields.....Please advice!!

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Find an independent muffler shop in your area.
    They can answer both questions........probably better than a dealer can.

My guesses:
    They can get you a replacement a LOT cheaper than OEM.
    Trying to weld a hole in an exhaust pipe or muffler is like pounding sand down a rat hole.

3. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Roy from canada trying to help --- I wrapped a stainless steel sheet of metal I got from a metal scrap yard ( stainless steel sink) around the body of the area with holes and held it there temporarily with a nut bolts and hole strap, before that I coated the metal sheet with a material that would allow the silver solder to melt and run between the converter steel and the patch when I heated the pipe patch. You will need an oxy act welder to heat up the patch and weld it to the exhaust.

or you can buy a new converter that welds on but any missallignment will cause the pipe to not fit to the manifold properly

cheap quick fix is to buy a product called inferno repair that requires high heat to cure it ( the converter gets very hot and will make a good cure) use a small stainless steel patch over the hole (under the patch put the inferno product against the hole) and the apply another coat over the top of the patch - the product cured like iron and is still working an my manifold repair after 6 months. Be sure it is the high temperature (2200 deg) material that gets harder and harder with heat. Cost about $10 per small bottle. Follow directions to allow air cure for 4 hours before starting the car for the converter to heat up and do a full cure. The inferno repair material starts off as a soft putty like material in a small bottle just mix it well and apply.

#3 royfrontenac, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    aswresm likes this.
  4. aswresm

aswresm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
  5. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Roy here from canada. Let us know how you did the repair and how long it lasts-- may help others in the future.

Roy