1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Toyota Prius, Rattles then shuts off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by fastestchess, Nov 8, 2006.

1. fastestchess

fastestchess New Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum, hopefully I can get some help from you guys. I tried to start my car today and it was completely dead. I read on the forums that the 12 volt battery needs to be changed. Ran to the dealer and bought the 12 volt battery ($133 plus tax). Installed it and now it wont crank.

It cracks but rattles and shuts off. Brake light shows up and so does engine light. I check my code and shows P1300 which is a ignitier circuit malfunction.

Does anyone here know what might be the problem? My warranty is up, my car has 78K on it. I am afraid that it might be the hybrid battery?

Thanks
    Ed

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, no, it's most likely an ignitor circuit, not the battery, like
    the car's trying to tell you. Check the AM2 fuse and IG2 relay, for
    starters...
    _H*

3. fastestchess

fastestchess New Member

Where are those located at and what are they? AM2 fuse and IG2 relay?

Thanks
    Ed

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    [attachmentid=5640]They provide 12 volts to your circuits that may be ill. See attached diagram. Hobbit may not have it nailed on the head this time because if all 4 ignitors were down you would not even get this bad startup. I suggested in your other thread on this that one ignitor itself may be disconnected or ?

Attached Files:

5. fastestchess

fastestchess New Member

Well, skipped work today just for this. Still trying to think what might be the problem.

I check bother of the relays you told me, and both were fine.

This morning, it started up, stayed on for a couple of seconds, then shut off. Then after that it just won't start again.

6. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what does the multi information display show? the car with the exclamation point? or main battery warning?

this may happen a lot if the vehicle sustains a engine problem or high voltage battery isnt working correctly.

what does the multi information display show? the car with the exclamation point? or main battery warning?

this may happen a lot if the vehicle sustains a engine problem or high voltage battery isnt working correctly.

7. fastestchess

fastestchess New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Nov 9 2006, 11:45 AM) [snapback]346285[/snapback]</div>

It shows both. The exclamation point and the battery warning. It just wont crank up anymore, shows both lights and doesnt show the ready sign.

I finally had it towed to SB Toyota. I was told they will have a look at it by Saturday, I can't wait that long but I guess there that busy.

So your saying that it might have a engine problem or voltage battery isnt working? Are those covered under warranty?

Anybody know what might be the problem, this uncertantity is eating me up!

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You're sure there is gas in the tank?

9. fastestchess

fastestchess New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Nov 9 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]346537[/snapback]</div>

Yes, shows two bars.

10. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if the car shows MAIN in red on the screen then it wouldnt start no matter what, its your high voltage battery that has a fault, make sure you consult your toyota dealer if you still have warranty, it might be HV battery premature failure or a failure on toyotas part.

if MAIN battery warning icon is on the MFD then theres a major fault with the HV battery, i would first check hte service plug. and check your engine also for any problems, as those can drain the HV battery, i suggest you do not start it until you find hte problem ( only if u have the MAIN batt warning )

i had this problem with my 1st prius, video is on youtube with the icons, and i created a charger and charged the hv battery ( it was a salvage car )

i have a very strong feeling your HV battery has a problem, along with a engine problem, take it to the toyota dealer , it may be covered under the warranty for the hybrid system