1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Dashboard, Horn, MFD Screen Problems P3002 & P1636

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by slimfrancis, Feb 27, 2014.

1. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i think i will start with the combination meter system this morning. finding my way through the tech-info site is almost as difficult as finding my way around the car. does anyone know if a hard copy of the toyota tech-info repair manual can be purchased? Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 8.45.55 AM.png Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 9.05.28 AM.png

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Time was, you'd buy directly from the Toyota materials distribution center, but like most of the manufacturers they've now contracted the distribution service to Helm, Inc.

-Chap

slimfrancis likes this.
  3. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    thanks chap! it'd be really nice to flip through the pages while i'm at the vehicle. my saved pdf files have quickly turned into a mess!

4. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok. my mechanic buddy seems to think it's a bad alternator because the 12 volt battery is being drained. i did put in a brand new 12 volt and he says it's being depleted. there is no alternator in a prius right? why are they listed in salvage yards as part of the transmission? does it sound like it may be the 100 amp dc-dc converter that keeps the 12 volt charged off the HV battery?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My post #2 above suggested several voltage measurements that you could take. If you can complete those measurements then we can comment on whether your mechanic buddy is correct with regard to the 12V battery being drained.

You are correct, there is no alternator in a Prius. Once the Prius is READY, the DC/DC converter provides power to the 12V bus including charging current to the 12V battery.

slimfrancis likes this.
  6. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    thanks patrick. i will complete those steps tomorrow at my buddy's shop. i did check the dc/dc fuse and it was good. stay tuned!

7. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    patrick are you referring to the same test you posted in "dead optima battery in morning" that i should try here as well? (since my buddy says i'm dealing with the 12 volt draining)

"Make the Prius IG-OFF. Turn off the cabin lights and close all doors. Remove the trunk light bulb or place something into the trunk light switch to keep the light turned off.

Hook up an ammeter in series with the 12V battery so you can read quiescent current draw. After the car settles down, the drain should be 0.03A or so.

If much more, then you have to start pulling fuses to see what circuit is causing the excess drain. Maybe you have a stuck relay."

thanks!

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would not hurt to try that test. First though, make sure that your 12V battery is fully-charged; if it is not, charge the battery first before doing anything else.

slimfrancis likes this.
  9. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    hi patrick! we fully charged the 12 volt battery and tried the tests you recommended. something is still draining the 12 volt. he now is following the wiring diagram for the dc/dc converter and checking the entire line for bad fuses/relays/ switches, etc. he says if he can't find it there the 12 volt drain must be in the inverter or transaxle. i hope this isn't the case. wouldn't the car have thrown codes if the problem was in the inverter or transaxle? he wanted to swap hv battery packs and the engine ecu (from another "good" car i have) to see what would happen and we did. same problem with the 12 volt battery draining. the ecu behind glove box and ecu in hv battery pack are both testing good. thanks!

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 12V drain would not come from the transaxle since that is powered by high voltage 3-phase AC.

What is the quiescent current drain when the car is IG-OFF and all doors closed?

11. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'll ask him what the drain is when I go back tomorrow. I'm glad to hear the transaxle would not be the cause. Thanks Patrick !

12. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    hey patrick! my mechanic buddy couldn't tell me what the quiescent current drain was exactly. i may take the car to toyota tomorrow and have them diagnose the problem and then have the work done elsewhere. my buddy's had the whole dash apart following the diagrams and checking the wiring/fuses/relays and can't find anything. we've swapped out every ecu in the car with known "good" ones and still NOTHING. do you think we're heading towards replacing the inverter?

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Measuring the quiescent current drain is quite simple: use a digital multimeter set to read current, and put that in series with the negative battery cable and body ground.

Understanding the quiescent current drain is really the first step in solving the problem. If you don't know what the drain is then you don't know how much of a problem you have.

14. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    let me make sure i have the process right patrick:

1. charge up my 12 volt completely
    2. set my multi-meter at 200m amps
    3. place one probe (lets say negative probe) to my negative battery terminal
    4. place the other positive probe to body ground

i'll do this with all doors shut and trunk light off. is this correct?

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [quote="slimfrancis, post: 1973417, member: 77943"
    3. place one probe (lets say negative probe) to my negative battery terminal
    4. place the other positive probe to body ground[/quote]

Yes - assuming you have first disconnected the negative cable that connects those two points. When measuring current in-line with an ammeter, you really do have to be in-line, forcing the current to go through the meter. If you're just putting the meter in parallel with the big fat wire that already connects the negative battery terminal to body ground, the lion's share of current will still be going through the wire where it won't show up on the meter.

As Patrick pointed out, once you have the meter in-line and the cable disconnected, the meter's current capacity is likely too low for the currents that would be seen if you turned the key on, so make sure you leave it off and measure only quiescent current that way.

I don't think for even a moment that you're on your way to replacing the inverter. Quiescent power drains in 12 volt car electrical systems have been problems for as long as there have been 12 volt car electrical systems. Your buddy has got you somehow thinking that it's a "complicated" hybrid car, so whatever's wrong with it must have to be in the complicated hybrid stuff. Once you see how much the quiescent drain is and when it occurs, you can just follow the wiring diagram to see where the various different circuits branch off that have power when the key is off, and move your meter to those one by one, and so on until you find the culprit. Only a few of the possibilities would even have anything to do with the complicated hybrid stuff.

-Chap

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most digital multimeters can measure current up to 10A. Use the highest current setting to start with, then move down to lower current settings as needed to get a good reading. Don't exceed the highest current that the meter is rated for, or else the meter fuse will blow. As Chap pointed out, leave the car IG-OFF and keep the cabin/trunk lights off. Keep the doors closed as much as possible because when the doors are open, the body ECU will draw more current.

I don't understand how your mechanic could do the work he did, without monitoring the quiescent current draw. Without keeping an eye on that measurement, you would have no idea whether the work you are doing is making the situation better or worse.

If you are going to do this work yourself, you need a long extension wire so that you can position the meter by the fuse boxes, allowing you to immediately see what happens as you pull fuses, one at a time. Make sure you insert a pulled fuse back into the correct slot.

When you find a fuse that produces a big drop in quiescent current draw, then you will need to refer to the wiring diagram. Look at the circuit downstream from that fuse to see what obtains power from that fuse. Then disconnect one circuit at a time until you find the component that is the power drain.

If you see a relay or two that is downstream from that fuse, try pulling the relays first as a stuck relay is the most likely cause.

This is not rocket science, but the task requires patience and the ability to think logically. If you visit your dealer to ask for this, expect to pay for at least four labor hours of troubleshooting time. Is it worth it to you to try to figure this out yourself to save $500?

My post #17 suggested you try looking at the circuits downstream from the 15A DOME fuse. Again, I repeat this suggestion to you now.

17. slimfrancis

slimfrancis Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    ok patrick! you should be collecting big $$$ from us folks here for your expertise. after swapping hv battery packs, ecu's, pulling apart the dash and tracking down the wiring, my mechanic decided to take another look at the 100a dc/dc fuse. yes, it still does "look" fine. however after removing it he noticed it was burnt out deeper down inside. i feel like such an idiot for not pulling that fuse out completely to inspect it. problem solved! dash lights up as it should in ACC and IG-ON, no more battery drain, etc. car runs and drives fine. the lesson learned: never just look at the top of a fuse to determine it's health. thank you for your help and everyone else who lent their expertise. you guy are fantastic!

yotatoter and usnavystgc like this.