1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Gen 1 Prius Only Starts with OBDII Connected

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Betsy03Prius, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Betsy03Prius

Betsy03Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2003 Gen 1 Prius
    Mileage: ~161,000
    Battery: New From Toyota (3/2019)
    Spark plugs: replace 3/2019
    Coils: Old but seem fine
    MAF Sensor: New 12/2019, but determined that was not the issue for swapped for Original toyota MAF sensor
    Throttle body: cleaned 3/2019
    Fuses: Checked 3/2019, all good
    Relays: Haven't tested
    Disconnected and cleaned all the HV ECU (under passenger side carpet) terminals and the ECM (behind glove box) terminals with electrical cleaner

OBDII Codes: P1636, P3002
    Repair: Toyota diagnostic testing and fuel line test. No issues ID'd and they could not get the codes to come on while they had it. Suggested new battery

Issue: The car was having an intermittent starting problem. It would not go into ready ~20% of the time. Now it never starts unless I first clear the codes.

HOWEVER, I realized today that IF codes are present and I turn the OBDII scanner "on" and then try to start (without clearing the codes) the car goes into ready. If the scanner is off it won't start. The car start if no codes are present (after clearing).

Any ideas on what is causing my starting issues?

2. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    DTC Detecting Condition

[​IMG]
    Wiring Diagram

[​IMG]
    Steps 1 - 2

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

Nelsonprius likes this.
  3. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    DTC Detecting Condition

The battery ECU receives information of the AC ECU, system main relay connection signals, etc. the HV ECU, and stores DTC when an error is detected in the receives information.

HINT: Check DTC of other ECUs and see whether any communication error of the HV ECU is stored or not. If HV communication errors are stored in then one ECU, replace the HV ECU.

[​IMG]
    Wiring Diagram

[​IMG]
    Steps 1 - 2

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

Nelsonprius likes this.