1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 old not dead-must go-Need advice on reasonable options

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Liz B, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Liz B

Liz B New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I've got a 2003 Prius and while I love having a Hybrid and the gerbils powering it seem to be holding up well, I am just not car-saavy enough to do any level of justice for maintaining an older car.
    Also, my mother has recently been declared unable to drive, so the family decided that me taking on her relatively unused car (a 2009 Pontiac, oooooo, so modern!) would be the most beneficial for everyone in the long run.

I found this site while trying to figure out one of the recent issues and hoping some of you might be able to provide a better framework of the car value or recommend some hierarchy of options.. (or conversely mention any red flags to definitely avoid?)

Sorry that I'm not very concise here, so HUGE thanks if you read all the way through to the end.

Really any and all perspectives/opinions/insights/pitfall warnings would be HUGELY appreciated!!
    Thank you!
    Liz
    ---
    The catches here are:
    • we'll be doing this exchange within the next month
      • I'll be going to MA probably in ~1-1.5 weeks, then driving that car back down to MD with temp tags after at most a week up there.)
    • I can afford a short overlap of insurance on the vehicles, and can probably talk with my mgmt co about a little leeway about the parking, but I can't just leave an unused car in the lot for too long without causing drama, I expect.
    • I am stuck between the anxiety of not wanting to get ripped off, hating the game of dealerships, but I know the car isn't pristine, needs some fixes and I may not have the time or money to actually address them.

2003 Toyota Prius - 116,196 - Light green/Teal coloring
    • Base model but with a package? or just it already included::
    • Navigation system
      • still the 2003 maps DVD that it came with, which for the most part has worked fine for me
        • just used Waze on phone as backup if needed. Works for general orientation and broadest directions quite well. gets amusing when driving into completely "new" post 2003 housing neighborhoods though
      • Side question: If anyone happens to know if there is ANY way to download/print out the saved address/flag list from the Navigation system, PLEASE let me know.
        • I've resigned to having to hand copy them all, but as a techie, it seems crazy/hard to accept that it would be completely impossible.. (Even if just the answer is only a dealer could do it but a lowly owner couldn't.. I swear I had asked one about it a few years back, but never got an answer)
    • ~mid to high 30s mpg (If "Gas Buddy" app log report is accurate, used for last 5 years)
      • mostly used for local short drives (<30min).
      • Does better on longer highway drives, of course
      • I've kept service up, so I don't know why it's not higher.
        • if this is a normal decline in mpg of time
          or if there's something more I should have somehow known to have done for it.
    • CarFax: ~$5k retail, $2.3k trade-in
    • KBB: "Good" condition: $2.7k Private Party, ~$1k trade-in
      • I don't know how reliable either of these numbers are. KBB seems less so, since it's very very generic, but maybe CarFax is too optimistic?

Known Issues:
    • Crack in ride side of front bumper
      • from sliding off the road into a trimmed dead bush in winter years ago.
      • Couldn't afford the fix at the time, and honestly completely forget about it. (yes bad handling, I know)
    • Driver Door twitches with key fob lock/unlock, but doesn't actually unlock.
      • Must use key in door or someone inside can unlock from the door switch.
      • double turning will fully lock & unlock the rest of the doors.
    • Driver side Back Door cannot be opened from the inside, regardless of lock position.
      • Using key in driver door does impact the outside handle though.
      • How I found this site actually, and purely guessing from symptoms and these posts:
        a "Door Actuator" or some related part to that needs replacement?
        • Problem with door locks on 2003 - this forum
        • Door Won't Lock/Unlock, Replacing Actuator? (although for gen3/2009? )
    • Back seat flip down cup holder VERY recently snapped off or out?
      • I have the cup holder part itself still in the car, just not sure what actually happened to it.
      • if something broke off of it that can't be fixed, if there is some joint part that can be slipped back in place or a connector part that could be replaced.
      • Kicked myself when it happened, but no time to investigate what
    • Minor dimples in body from normal 14 years of use
    • Could use a detailing but no interior damage
    • could use a car wash :) .. just always seems to be raining when I remember that. :)

Positives:
    • Full New set of tires - mid July 2017 (didn't know yet about all this)
    • Hybrid Battery was replaced in 2009
      • due to some system failure, don't recall specifics anymore, The replacement was a surprise to me, but it was completely covered by warranty, so I wasn't going to protest.
      • (Mentioned since I recall reading some posts about concerns about replacing the battery or age of it?.. it's not entirely as old as the car in my case)
    • I'm the Sole Owner
    • I'm 90% sure I have all ...3?... sets of keys...
      • Honestly just haven't dug them out of their intentionally scattered backups spots yet.
    • I've kept as many receipts and records of everything done for the car as possible.
      • in a couple catch all folders, sadly not some great organized system.
    • it's been a reliable little workhorse/work-gerbil for me, with admittedly no auto expertise.
    ---

As far as I can tell, my Options seem to be:
    • Take it to CarMax and maybe get handed $50
      • (hoping this is sarcasm.. never heard of them before, but they seem to be a common reference now? but read that you can't expect more than maybe 1/3 of what other places might give? )
    • Try to go to various autobody places to get quotes,
      • THEN go to car lots to see what they'd offer without those repairs done vs after?
    • Try to donate the car for some sort of tax deduction? (but I have no idea how that works)
    • Try to sell it on Craigslist without knowing what pricing would be, plus extra stress of hagglers, etc.
    • Try to find someone to buy it for parts? (no idea where or how to negotiate that)

Thoughts? Ideas? Recommendations? for whether it's worth anything as is? any point to selling or donate or just scrap somewhere?

Thank you again!
    Liz

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you can start at kbb.com for value and work from there. all the best!(y)

3. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you sell the car for parts or to an auto body shop, you won't get more than around $200 for it. CarMax would probably give you $500 or so. Craigslist or eBay could get you more (maybe $1500 or so), but you'd also have to deal with a lot of low-ball offers. I'd personally recommend donating it and getting a tax writeoff. I've donated a car to the Salvation Army before, and it was a very easy process. And there are lots of organizations that take car donations. They'll also value your car at retail, so you'd likely get a higher value as a tax deduction than you would from just selling it.

4. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish you were closer. I'd take it off your hands at a reasonable price.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What you get for it depends a lot on local market conditions Check the Craigslist for Balt., Philly, DC, and other eastern seaboard markets. Of the gen1's, the 03 is going to have the highest resale, depending on the car's total mileage. Mostly the buying public is afraid of the battery thing--"You know the replacement batteries cost $5000!" Not really, and Toyota has a goodwill program that can bring in the installed replacement for well under $2000.

I have a very nice 03 here in Tucson that I think is a bargain at $3000. But realistically, I'd be happy with $2000. No set prices on used cars. KBB is just a guess in my opinion. (And usually not a very good one.) The deal is whatever you and the buyer can agree on.

6. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't know where you're located and as mentioned, prices vary by region. Definitely do not scrap it. Donating it is up to you and your finances. Private party sale is what should net you the most money.

In Orange County, California, click here to see what the private party market appears to be. From first glance, the prices seem to be between $1,000-$4,000.

7. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Donating it helps your favorite charity, but unless you're rich it doesn't show much tax benefit. Figure whatever your tax rate is, that's the percentage you'll get of whatever the fair market value of the car might be. The charity never sees the car, a company that does the work comes and picks up your car. Most of them require that the car be in operating condition. They take the car to an appropriate auction and sell it and pass on the proceeds minus their fees to your favorite charity.

Might be better to just sell it yourself and send the charity a cash donation.

Another way to sell is to take it to a consignment lot. They'll sell the car and give YOU the proceeds, minus their fees.

Good Luck

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Go to your local public radio/tv station website for details on how to donate. Basically they'll need the person who's name is on the title to be there with the title in hand when it's picked up.

9. Liz B

Liz B New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very very much, everyone! I am definitely reading all of these!
    I guess next I'll try scanning the Craiglist sections near here (MD) for some sold listings to see if they can give any closer ballpark options. I'm checking Maryland Public Television's site about their donation process and how they handle valuation/receipts etc.

(still stuck in that purgatory between ease of process, yet potential lack of monetary benefit (donation)
    and getting into a position of having to haggle when I know I'm not experienced enough to have much of any advantage (craigslist). HEH. )

Thank you!

10. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked at Craigslist ads in your area. Saw others for sale.
    You should be able to do reasonably well selling it at Blue Book value on CL.

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know a Gen 1 Prius owner in Manassas VA who is a Toyota salesman. I will email him to see if he has any ideas.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Liz B

Liz B New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh, so one last update here...

Just before, I went home for Thanksgiving, the check engine light came on.
    I took it to get checked after I got back aaaaaaand the catalytic convertor has to be replaced.
    (but hey, I also learned the driver side back door was just fine.. apparently there is a child lock.. it's just completely mechanical and not accessible by any visible switch anywhere else in the car, on the side of the door and at some point in probably the last couple of years, it must have just gotten bumped... felt stupid when it was pointed out, HAH
    but you live, you learn.)

Soooo, I guess one brief attempt at a Craigslist post for a completely AS IS quick sale.
    Then just accept the utter loss. since nearly every donation site I can find is going to try to sell it at auction anyway and subtract their repairs or other fees, and then the tax deduction would be a minor % of that.. and with this repair now required, it might be pointless. (sigh)

Thank you all for your help though!

bisco likes this.
  13. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The cat on my cheap 02 ($400) went out or was out when I tried to get it smogged. I bought a universal one and had Midas Muffler put it in, reusing the OEM pipes. Don't recall what the cat cost, or where I got it from (probably Rockauto or Amazon) but Midas only charged $100 to put it in and it solved that problem.

Good luck Liz. I think I'd still try to sell it as a mechanic's special--needs a cat and a few other blemishes. You might still get $1000 or $1500. If you're feeling rich, give some of it to Unicef (for Puerto Rico) or Salvation Army, or your local NPR/PBS organization.