1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius, 47F, 9 miles, 51.3 MPG indicated

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 20, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I needed to get some groceries early this morning, 4:00 AM, and walk the dogs. Before starting the engine, I cleared the "B" trip meter and reset the MPG display and drove to the all night grocery store about 4.5 miles away:
    • 45-50F - temperature range spot checked on the drive down and back. The highest was in the parking at the grocery store.
    • 9.0 miles, corrected to 9.5 - last summer, my GPS calibration constant came in at ~5.7% so I use 5% to be conservative
    • 51.3 MPG, corrected to 53.8 MPG real - I'm using over-sized front tires, which is a permanent over-drive
    Now I've been driving this 2003 Prius since October 2005 and do drive using a few tricks:
    1. split water-noodle lower grill block - when outside temperatures are under 75F, this lets the car warm-up sooner to reach hybrid operating mode.
    2. shift to "N" and 25 mph for the first mile - easy to do with no traffic, I only accelerate to 25 mph and then coast in "N" as much as possible.
    3. keep engine rpm under 2,400 rpm - I have instrumentation that allows me to monitor engine coolant temperature and engine rpm
    4. route that minimizes stops - this is specific to where I live but I can at 4:00 AM ignore one stop sign and use right-turn-on-red at the other intersections. With this cool weather, I'm at 70C within about 2 miles.
    5. use the 40 mph access road instead of the 50 mph divided, limited access road - the Prius hybrid mode limit is 42 mph. So my indicated 38 mph is 40 mph true and the car loves to turn off the engine at every chance. This really boosts the MPG. But at 4:00 AM with little traffic around, I can also drive at 38-40 mph indicated on the 50 mph road without a problem by paying attention to traffic in my rear view mirror.
    6. flat route - it is former river bottom land
    7. heat only as needed to keep windshield fog free . . . heck I used defrost during the initial half-mile due to the condensate but I'm still coasting in "N".
    8. I don't look at traction battery SOC but typically I arrive home with a fair SOC. I'll be doing 50 mph down to the turn into the neighborhood. Then I'm at 25 mph to the house so I'm probably parking with a little on the plus side of 60% but I really don't bother with traction battery SOC because it is just part of the transmission. I've long since given up on trying to treat our Prius as if they are some sort of electric vehicle.
    The only reason I'm posting this is to list some of the tricks us oldsters use to squeeze our gas nickels as hard as possible. Add traffic, a poor route, higher speeds, and more heater, especially defrost that uses the AC, and the mileage would not have been so good. But I live in a milder climate and can use these Southern tricks.

No, I don't use 'pulse and glide' unless coasting in "N" called that during the first mile or so during warm-up. I'm only using coasting in "N" in the neighborhood when there is no traffic and only to get the engine coolant up to 40-70C depending upon how anal I'm being about mileage.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

usnavystgc likes this.
  2. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for the tips :D

#2 that I miss most on Prius, is no rpm gauge? what the heck!!
    "keep engine rpm under 2,400 rpm - I have instrumentation that allows me to monitor engine coolant temperature and engine rpm"

3. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good info, Bob(y) !!
    What is your opinion on replacing the 82 C thermostat with a 88 C, if you could find one for a 3rd gen. Prius.
    Prius are cold natured; and I do grill block in cold weather.
    I just wish ICE could stay hotter; longer; in cold weather!!
    I get from 48 to 50 MPG in winter; I love:love: my Prius!!

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Even though I've still got a bunch of 88C thermostats for the NHW11, I've never put one in our 2003. I'm more concerned about the effects of heat on the engine and lubricants.

As for the 1.8L Prius, it does have an electric water pump. I am still curious why it has a thermostat versus using temperature sensors to adjust the electric water pump speed. That would take out the thermostat drag, lower pump speed and load, and during hot weather, help dump the excess heat after stopping.

Bob Wilson

NR427 likes this.
  5. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Bob.........that would solve temp problems for both winter and summer;
    I wonder why Toyota has not done this!!;)
    (y) Great Idea!!(y)

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "As for the 1.8L Prius, it does have an electric water pump. I am still curious why it has a thermostat versus using temperature sensors to adjust the electric water pump speed."
    The reason for the thermostat is so that, when the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed, coolant can flow through the engine and heater core without also flowing through the radiator. That allows faster heating of the coolant which speeds up the engine reaching operating temp, benefits exhaust emissions and allows the cabin heater to function more quickly.

bwilson4web likes this.