1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 prius actuator replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sharnold, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced the actuator pump assembly due to flashing abs light and brake light staying on. When you reset the C1251 cel you dont have much of a pedal its stiff but after pushing it a few times the alarm comes on abs flashes and the pedal becomes normal. Any ideas would be accepted ty in advance

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At no avail of answers and being a Prius guru tech myself I figured it out........ the C1251 was due to a shorter wire on the harness for the replacement actuator pump after repair i ended up pulling a C1214 after using techstream and my trusty flexible piece of 1/2 PVC pipe to hold my brake pedal for me I bled the system and she's good to go. Also to change the pump I didn't remove the A/C lines as I figured a way to do it without wasting my time having to recharge the system if anyone ever needs help ask away this was my 4th one to change out.....

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was it different / faster than the way rlin78 did it?

4. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes to pull the pump and replace it took me 2hrs including removing the window tray and reinstalling it. First I pulled the two brake fluid rubber lines from the metal lines coming from the reservoir on the firewall and plugged them with bolts to keep from losing fluid. Then I had a clean container ready so after I removed the bottom line with the reservoir tilted ever so slightly to keep it from running out of the cap i set it on the container and salvaged a mess. After unbolting the wiring harness from the engine removing the 3 10mm bolts and harness bracket I pulled it to the window tray and held it with zip ties in place. After removing the line from the top of the accuator I pulled it and the other brake line that runs through the passenger inner fender loose from the retainer bracket on the firewall and zip tied them higher. After that I slightly pushed up and zip tied the ac lines up a little higher without bending them. Then I unbolted the 12mm bracket bolt from the top of the pump and removed the four 10mm bolts from the bottom of the car. After that it's a game of turning the pump sideways and moving it to the center of the head above the manifold and contorting it to slide ever so slightly through without snagging everything and it is tight but easily done. After that its work backwards with the new pump.

ronlewis likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By "window tray" are you talking about the cowl, under the windshield wipers?

6. Sharnold

Sharnold Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the cowl sir

ronlewis likes this.