1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Headlamp replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Whereupon, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Whereupon

Whereupon New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I want to 'upgrade' the factory-level headlamps on my 2003 Prius. Went to the local garage, they claim they have to remove the front bumper wrapper to get to the headlamps...want to charge me over $150 to do it.

Nothing I've found on the 'net says that is the case, but I haven't asked the experts until now. Are they just trying to get out of doing it?

Thanks!

2. vaughnstark777

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It’s a little painful but I was able to get to them under the hood. You have to remove a few things and it will help to have small hands, which I don’t.

If you start with the passenger side one and pay close attention to how it fits in the headlight bucket before you take it out you should be able to do both.

If you are putting the high power ones with their own little fans on them you will have to leave off the rubber grommets.

Btw the rubber grommets and the electrical plugs will be a pain to get off the first time, especially with the limited room you will have.

And that’s why they want to do it the way that allows them to charge you for an hour and a half of labor!

3. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Are you attempting to change the entire light assembly or just replace the bulbs with improved brilliance. The assembly can be removed by just slightly lowering the bumper on each side. I replaced the original bulbs with some higher output units and also used rubbing compound and cleaners to improve the lens quality. If you need and produce names etc just post and I will pass on info. Good Luck.

4. Whereupon

Whereupon New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the reply, and sorry it took so long to answer...the notification got dumped into my spam folder.

I'm just trying to replace the bulbs themselves...do I need to mess with the bumper for that? Thanks!

5. Whereupon

Whereupon New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
  6. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Replaced ours with bulbs #9004-HB4. Helped quite a bit. You should be able to complete the exchange w/o lowering bumper. Although there is little area, you should be able to remove the rear cover, release clips and change bulbs. Good luck. Peace.

7. Hipstor

Hipstor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Brian in Tucson and WHCSC like this.
  8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model: