1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Loss of power

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Daniel Brough, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Daniel Brough

Daniel Brough New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought 2003 Toyota Prius Hybrid. The car seems to run fine for about 15 miles although the triangle warning light and engine light are on. Then at about 10 to 15 miles the brake light displays. I have significant loss of power and cannot climb hills. The engine revs up but the car will not pick up speed. When I shut her down and get out I smell burning coming from somewhere If I allow to sit for a few minutes, sometimes it will be fine for a bit till the brake light comes on again and we start all over again. Sometimes it can sit overnight and it starts up in the morning with the brake light already displayed and the power loss active. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with my battery as I had battery worked on and the problem was worse. Anyone else ever deal with anything like this? The codes suggest battery problems. But engine light. Brake light. And warning triangle light suggest something else.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am always surprised at the willingness of people to say "look, warning lights on my car" and then not read the trouble codes to find out why the lights are on, and on top of that keep driving the car. You really can't count on that going well.

We can make some guesses about what the trouble codes in your car might be likely to be, but the way we could really help would be if you found out what they are and posted them in this thread.

mroberds likes this.
  3. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like your car is going into limp mode, which is when it gives up on the main battery and gets all its torque from the internal combustion engine. Driving in this condition is like driving on the little spare tire in the trunk. It's good enough to get the car down the road and in for service, but isn't meant to do more than this.

Bad modules in the traction battery causes the battery to overheat, which will put the car in limp mode and perhaps is what you smell. Since the hybrid system is tied to regenerative breaks, this might be why the break light comes on as well. I think you need a new battery, it sounds like it's past the point of being repaired.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another common possibility is nothing to do with the battery, but more to do with the inverter in the front of the car going into a protective mode because of overheating, sometimes because of a problem with the electric pump that circulates its coolant. It can be ok again after cooling down, for whatever distance it takes to overheat again.

It's because of the variety of possible causes that it is important to know what trouble codes the car is reporting.

mroberds, Rmay635703 and ammdb like this.
  5. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A