1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius P3125 Inverter Codes/Repair

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Quiana Jackson, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Quiana Jackson

Quiana Jackson New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Prius cut off on me again smh. 110k highway miles mainly. 2nd owner since July 2015. Auto zone said P3125 inverter malfunction. Towed to mechanic after cutoff near home. Replaced using a 110k inverter off ebay with 30 day warranty for $225. Mechanic test drove 30min. Check engine light was off but red triangle and inverter malfunction codes still on. Then I took it home. Went to the store near house next day. Check engine light came back on. Car cut off on my way back to mechanic shop. It stalls 1st then brake light comes on. Won't drive now at all. Getting AAA to tow to actual Toyota next weekend. 30min tow to Chambersburg PA. Refuse to buy new inverter at $3k. Water pump & aux battery had been replaced 3 months prior in July after cutting off on highway. Anyone have ANY idea what the problem could be before I pay Toyota? Better to sell or repair? Car only has 110k mikes ran perfect for an entire year. Located in Hagerstown MD.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Confirm what code is coming up. Also the the sub code (if any).
    You may need to send the inverter back and ask for a replacement.
    Of course if you will have to pay for the labor to remove the existing inverter and install the replacement. Lucky you.
    If the red triangle is on there is a problem.

3. BigVanMan

BigVanMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A P3125 is the code I saw I had when I needed to replace my MG2 stator. Failed MG2 stators are fairly common on the 1st gen Prius. Best test I saw for the stator w/o a mega ohm meter.
    You may also see a P3009 like in the video. Hope this helps.

strawbrad likes this.