1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius - replace engine or buy a new car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by camps, Dec 27, 2013.

?
  1. Replace engine (5K) and keep car? (cross fingers nothing else will go wrong with it)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Start shopping for a new car?

100.0%
  1. camps

camps New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly my engine is shot and I need to decide if I should replace it with a used engine for around 5k or get a new car. The water pump failed and my engine got wicked hot. The water pump was replaced and it seemed like I had not screwed up the engine. Cut to a few months later and the coolant gasket fails (likely due to warping of the engine when it was hot during the water pump issue) and coolant went into the pistons and throughout the exhaust system and the engine is now done for. The car is a 2003 with 57K miles. Before this it was running beautifully. Per the dealer service manager if I replace the engine there could be other problems down the road in other parts of the exhaust system such as the O2 sensors. He said that they can't tell if anything else in the exhaust system has been damaged. I inherited this car from my grandparents, they had it for 6 years and put 12k miles on it and took great care of it. I would love to keep it, but don't want to put 5K into it if the exhaust system will likely also go and maybe cost a lot or if due to the age of the car there are other things that will likely go soon, like the hybrid battery or transaxle. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this sort of thing? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Look into replacing the engine with a used one. Should be under $3k, maybe even 2k for parts and labor at just about any shop that isn't the dealer. O2 sensors aren't too expensive, I would be more worried about the catalytic converter(s?).

It mainly depends on your situation. If you like the car and are willing to accept the possibility of further repairs possibly in the near future, fix it and keep it. If you can afford it and prefer something less likely to have problems, look into buying a newer car.

3. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the most important part of the equation. Before committing any more money, get a second opinion from an independant mechanic that is knowledgeable about the Prius.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Respects to your Grandparents, but considering this is a Gen I and the age of the vehicle, I would cut my losses and move on. This is about to become a very expensive anchor to drag around at your age. Just buy a new one with the fix-it-up money and move on.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    for 3000 and what you can get for you gen1 , can you not get a user p2? if that car is in good condition you can still drive a lot of miles with it!

6. B.H.

B.H. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was me,I would buy a used engine from a salvage yard,you can get one for $400-$500 or you can get from eBay anywhere from $250-$500 ranging from 50k miles on up.Take it to a trusted mechanic and have him install it.

Data Daedalus likes this.