1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 prius squealing. Stops with brake pedal

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Robert in Sahuarita, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Robert in Sahuarita

Robert in Sahuarita New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello! Im a relatively new prius convert.
    I have 2 classics. One is almost flawless, and the second i bought as almost a basket case. It has some front end damage,basically cosmetic.
    The previous owner said it needed an inverter...and the hybrid battery was toast. I finally found a gen1 battery for a decent price($350!). And it was only a 1050 mile trip in my dads prius to pick it up. It only needed one module(so far).
    I finally got it drivable and i get a bad squealing noise that seems to come from in front of the driver. If i tap the brakes it will stop then start. Tapping repeatedly works best. This noise occurs at ready when the car is not moving. Ice doesnt need to be running. I kept tapping the brakes to get it to stop while pulling codes.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bearings if moving.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you give any more informative description about this noise? Does it sound like a constant high-pitched beep, perhaps, or not like that?

And now that you've told us all about tapping the brakes to get it to stop while pulling codes, please don't keep us all in suspense about what the codes were. That's just mean. :)

-Chap

James1964 likes this.
  4. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    What bearings? The car isnt moving and the ice isnt on.

5. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well, it had some variety of codes. Maf was dirty, and it kept telling me modules 6 was out. Im still working on the battery, got the module ordered and am trying to cycle the others on the bench. So currently the car isnt running again. But it will be.
    The squealing sounds like an electric motor with bad bearings. Sometimes it would come back even when i kept the pedal pushed, hence why i started tapping them. I did have brake light and abs light on at first, then they went away after a little driving. I have probably driven it about 5 miles total. I did change the inverter (the car came with two extras). Noise was there with both.
    It also made this noise when we first tried to start the car when it had only 12v power( the traction battery was about 0 volts).

6. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just FYI, there's a Gen 1 Prius at Pull a Part in Tucson.

7. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pumps and fans come to mind if the car isn't moving. Is it coming from under the hood?

8. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks on the pull apart. I think the previous owner worked at a scrap yard or something.
    The noise does come from under the hood. I was thinking it might be brake master cylinder related because the noise would stop when i would step on the pedal. But then it would start again. I cant remember if it did it while driving or not. It seems loud for the inverter pump motor but its possible.

9. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Silly question, have you opened the hood to try to locate the source of the noise? I replaced a bad brake booster pump, it didn't make any noise at all. Symptom on mine was that the brakes were very weak. BTW, I got the replacement pump at Pull a Part.

10. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My replacement battery module showed up today, once i get that replaced and the battery back in i should have her up and squealing again. I will be able to continue diagnostics then. I really didnt get a good chance to listen with the hood up. First time i heard it, i thought one of the mg motors was spinning on a shaft or something.

11. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I replaced my bad battery module and cleaned half of my battery bars....what a complete PITA !!!! But so far so good except for the squealing.... The brakes and abs light came on ,along with the annoying buzzer to let me know the warning lights were on. I could feel the abs assembly and im pretty sure thats where its coming from . does the abs module require wd40,or duct tape, or replacement.?
    At least im pretty sure i have a good gen1 hybrid battery now. This car also needs a deep shampoo,front bumper and cover,ac work,and a front windshield (and the abs). I may end up keeping this for parts and moving my hybrid pack to a better car.

12. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ive driven it a few more miles. This car sat for some time and that might have had aomething to do with the squealing.
    For now it has stopped. I did get 2 tires on the dirt and 2 on the asphalt and hit the brakes pretty hard to make the abs do something. I did it on each side. The abs seemed to work. Regular driving the brakes work fine.
    Fwiw i was alone on a remote road and did my abs exercises at a safe speed. Didnt get very exciting.
    Thanks for the comments. I'll post any updates. Im gonna keep my eye on it but im leaning towards clearing out the cobwebs.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's not quite what the buzzer's for. :) There are some thirty-odd reasons the lights can come on, but only handful that also trigger the buzzer (the "Table of Trouble Part and DTC" on page DI-360 shows which ones). (That's the page in my 2001 manual, it might have moved some for 2003.) The buzzer will sound for any of the reasons that cause a C1252 or C1256 code, or for some of the reasons that cause a C1251 (it will not sound if the problem seems only to be with sense wires, but will sound if it seems to be with the pump). The buzzer's there to let you know that the particular reasons your lights are on this time are likely to disappoint your expectations of how quickly you can stop the car.

The surest/quickest way forward would be to read the codes you're getting, and look them up.

-Chap

14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Robert, do you have a Techstream setup? You are more than welcome to come by my house and use my old computer, Mini VCI, and the software. I got that warning buzzer when my brake booster pump failed. Got a yunque yard replacement for $24.95, btw. If you think you need parts, don't delay, the Pull a Part doesn't keep old Pri's forever.

BTW, if you know anyone that's looking, I have a really (!) nice 03 to sell. $2700 or reasonable offer.

15. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My luck didnt hold out. The lights and squealing came back. I havent pulled codes yet with my bluetooth yet. Not sure if it will tell me much. I do have the techstream cable but havent downloaded software yet.
    And if you couldnt guess, your user namee prompted mine brian.
    Im looking at another gen 1 for cheap right now.its alittle trip but i think it will pay off. I am a super cheap guy...

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well actually that's what I did. I bought my 'daily driver' in Eldorado TX and dragged it home behind my pickup on a Uhaul dolly.

17. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    So i changed the abs pump. I havent really got the car quite up and driving but how did you bleed the brakes?( through the abs module) i read a little about using a scanner to cycle the abs to get it to bleed.
    Btw. So far my 200 parts prius has yielded a good abs pump,an inverter i feel better about and a good traction battery.

18. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a cheap vacuum bleeder that connects to the bleeder screws at the wheels. It uses compressor air and worked quite well (from Harbor Freight.) I don't know if it would help, but I have a laptop with Techstream installed (and the mini vci cable.) LMK if you need to borrow it.

19. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I appreciate the offer but i might try to get techstream on my wifes laptop before we head out to Oklahoma city on vacation in 2 weeks. We'LL be in the good prius though.
    So you bled yours without cycling the abs solenoids? Ive read that its necessary, but Ive also read a lot of things people say are necessary but arent. I wont be daily driving it until i feel its safe either.

20. Robert in Sahuarita

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a couple things to report.
    So far so good.. I bled the abs module and the brakes. So far so good. Abs worked and pedal feels good.
    I also adjusted the rear brakes on both of mine and they both feel a lot better afterward. The self adjuster imho doesnt seem to work well. I do understand you dont want any drag,particularly on a prius but the brakes seemed to come on rather sudden before and after adjustment they seemed to smooth out. This was on my daily driver.
    I adjusted the brakes while i swapped tires around. 4 new lexani 84t 175 65 14s for the daily, at 165 shipped to more door. One of the 4 required about 1/2oz to balance it, the other 3 didnt require any weights at all.
    They ride smooth and are more quiet than the harmony/kumho combo i had on before. After only 50 miles or so mileage seems the same. I have a road trip coming up and will report more after that.
    Thanks for the helpful advice.