1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius stops while on freeway, Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Elaine, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Elaine

Elaine New Member

Friday I was driving home and all the warning lights come on. The car runs for about an hour as I am hoping it won't give out before I make it to a dealer, but no such luck. The lights on the navigation system flicker and turn off as I make my way to the side of the road. This is not a first time occurance but the dealers have never found anything wrong with the car. In the past I turn off the car for about an hour and then it seems to reset itself and I can go for another 8 months before it happens again. Well, This time the dealer said it is a combination of the water pump and something else that started with an i (Well, its the part that keeps the engine cool). They want to charge me $5,000. Did anyone else have this problem?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Sorry about the problems. Unfortunately our standard reply is 'find out the diagnostic trouble codes'.

It would be speculation for me to suggest that the electric motor that pumps the inverter coolant is at fault. Yet a few have failed, and one response has been to suggest replacing the entire inverter assembly, or more. Please ty to get more details.

Also when the vehicle is in 'Ready' and secured against movement, open the hood and look at the inverter coolant reservoir. The red (or pink) fluid inside should be visibly circulating, with the liquid level at least 1/2 inch higher in the section towards the front of the car. If you do not see that, please report about that also.

Good luck.

3. Elaine

Elaine New Member

The dealer says my problem is the water pump and the inverter. A total cost of $5,120. Anyone have this problem? It has stalled and been towed 4 times. At 47,000 miles Norwalk Dealer changed the starting battery, At 85,000 and 99,705 miles the Glendora nor the Longo Dealer could they find nothing wrong, and finally at 107,000 miles Pasadena Toyota said it is a malfunctioning inverter and water pump. 2003 Prius

4. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elaine @ Sep 10 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]510067[/snapback]</div>
    If the water pump went bad and the inverter overheated, wouldn't a warning light come on before there were any damage?? Seems like the Prius has warnings for every conceivable thing, including ones that probably aren't too important.

5. Elaine

Elaine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 9 2007, 08:57 PM) [snapback]509806[/snapback]</div>

The codes I got from the dealer were P3125 for the inverter malfunction and P3130 Inverter cooling system.
    I was told that an inverter is warrantied for 100,000 miles but my car has 107,000 miles.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you've got a case here- since it was taken to the dealer for the same problem twice and not properly diagnosed by said dealership. i presume at least one of the previous times it was taken to the dealer the car had 100k or fewer miles on it?

7. Elaine

Elaine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 10 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]510352[/snapback]</div>

Do you think it matters if it had been towed to 3 different dealerships? Only the last one found the codes. Yes, it had been towed in at 85,000miles and 99,700 miles for the same problem.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Elaine you are going to have to assemble your paperwork from the previous three visits. If any is lacking contact those shops directly and ask them to provide copies from their records. This they should be able to do, knowing oyur VIN.

In a perfect world you would get that info, regardless of how the request is made. The most cynical would suppose that Toyota shops will 'circle the wagons' if they know that trouble is afoot. Without taking a position on that question, you might neglect to mantion your motivation for wanting those records. It would seem to be an innocent and appropriate enough request.

The Toyota Customer Experience telephone 1-800-331-4331 is where all such major matters ought to be presented. Get a case number, give them all the info (eg discussed above) and keep records of those conversations. If there is a decision made in your favor, the TCE will be a participant.

abq_sfr, your expectation makes sense to me. One would suppose that the vehicle would enter some safe ( r ) operating mode, but we cannot know about this case, from such a distance. Similarly, whether in this case the 3125 means a notable overheat or a damaging overheat?

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elaine @ Sep 9 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]509793[/snapback]</div>
    Two questions:
    If "all the warning lights come on," whyever would you drive the car any further? You say you continued for an HOUR?

You say it's a 2003, yet your profile says 2001.

I'm really not sure why you would continue to drive a car that repeatedly does this.

10. Elaine

Elaine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Sep 10 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]510419[/snapback]</div>

Well, I was trying to get to a medical appointment for my husband because he was in a lot of pain. After the car mess I has to take him to emergency. His diagnosis: a 4mm kidney stone.
    I was only moving 5 miles an hour in LA rush hour traffic. (Which is really any time of the day).
    Even though the Prius had been towed before the dealers could not find the problem in the past and the system would reset itself and run fine. This new dealer says the inverter is malfunctioning and could very well run fine next week.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 10 2007, 09:57 PM) [snapback]510406[/snapback]</div>

Thank you for the info. I have gotten a case number and TCE will call me tomorrow. I've gone to all the dealers where the prius has had service and have obtained records. I'm only waiting on one dealer that said all info is stored on microfiche and will take longer to retrieve info.

11. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Seems too obvious, but what about the 12v battery again? The first went 47K, now another 60K is on it. This isn't a starting battery BTW. I have a ot of trouble with dealers wanting to replace large parts as an easy fix. It isn't their money being spent. Maybe their claim is correct, but I would be cautious before spending that kind of $$$.

12. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Also you may want to check your CA emission controls warranty. On the 2007, probably the 2004+ as well, the inverter/converter is covered for 15yrs/150K miles.

13. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ Sep 11 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]510701[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, the vehicle appears to be a 2001 or 2003, not a Gen II. The 2001-2003 hybrid component warranty is 8 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first. Both California and Federal emissions warranties are shorter. Sorry.

14. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ Sep 11 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]510701[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately, the vehicle appears to be a 2001 or 2003, not a Gen II. The 2001-2003 hybrid component warranty is 8 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first. Both California and Federal emissions warranties are shorter. Sorry.

15. Elaine

Elaine New Member

Final outcome from Toyota Experience Center- They will only cover the cost for half the part even though I have proof that it broke down before the end of the warranty. We also have a 2004 Prius and the navigation system went out after warranty too. I ended up with two Toyota Lemons!!!!!!