1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 Prius Stuck between 2 coconut trees for 3 months now, Need some help!!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jonathan T, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But seriously, do you have at least 2 keys that will start your car?
    If you only have one you should get another ASAP and keep it in a safe place.

If you need a 2nd key Pmail me, I can get one cut by VIN, mail it to you, then you can mate it to your car with the "chicken dance" procedure .... assuming you have a working master (not valet) key.

2. youngnbald

youngnbald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Speaking of keys. I bought my car with one key and had the dealership make another key for me. Both keys have the black plastic. The valet key is gray correct? When I bought a blank key and had it cut, it will only open the door. I tried the "chicken dance" procedure and cannot get the key to start the car. Going from memory, I thought I read about the memory bank for the keys can only hold three key codes. I thought about clearing the memory, but no one is specific what it takes to start over.

By the way, upon purchase the one key given with the car will not open the trunk. The key from the dealer will not open the trunk either. Do I have a valet key? Why will the car ignore programming more keys?

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Awesome pics. I can't believe you resurrected that thing. Good deal.

Data Daedalus and yotatoter like this.
  4. jonathan T

jonathan T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Paul
    Thanks for the concern, i know burning the only master is what started this whole thing!!
    I have 2 master keys on the newly installed ignition, and 1 burnt key for the door locks/trunk.
    So without changing the door locks i guess i am stuck with 2 different keys
    Now how do you think the electrical HV batt fire started in the first place?
    The only thing i can think of is the heat from the bush fires heated up the last batt modules and then shorted?
    But no wires on that end were burnt.?

5. jonathan T

jonathan T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Paul, Bob, and anybody else who would like to weigh in
    UPDATE:
    OK i guess i am not Home Free yet!!
    OK so i got the Prius on the road ran it for a total of 20 miles
    Got the triangle ! and the car with the ! on the screen along with engine light for a total of 5 times. And this was just after i bolted it all in!!
    First time i pulled over after 2 miles, i turned the vehicle off , plugged my cheap U480 scanner in and got the code P3022.
    Then erased the code, the car started fine and went for another 3 or 4 miles. Same thing etc.......
    I did find that the fan in the rear from the batteries was on (definitely heard it loud and clear) when the warning lights came on, and when i cleared the code it went off.
    Ok so Paul am i now in the Game Whack a Mole?
    So a few questions and please let me know best approach here.
    1: Will i damage the Car/ HV battery if i have to keep clearing the code to drive?
    2: How long do i have before it gets worse?
    3: If the code means Block 12 becomes weak, does that mean a specific battery location is weak or any of the 38 cells?
    4:Could it be anything else but the batteries?
    5: If 34 batts read 7.6volts and the 4 replacements read 7.3 to 7.4 could that be the issue of the .2 to .3 volt difference ?
    6: When testing the batteries do i need to put a load tester to really test them properly?
    7: Any other suggestions i am all ears!!

Thanks to you all in Advance

Jonathan.

6. jonathan T

jonathan T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I should also add about Gas Mileage
    At first when i just got it started and was running MPG was at 45 mpg, mostly driving between 30 to 50 max speed here on the island
    After the 20 miles MPG dropped down to around 36mpg
    I remember someone here talking about when they had a weak Hv Battery, there MPG went down.
    Anybody want to comment?

7. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I remember reading elsewhere on here that a difference of greater than .1 volts +/- can cause that. I know in the battery rebuild threads that others have balanced all cells when putting in replacement cells.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The diagnostic manual reports a code is thrown if the voltage exceeds 0.3V. But a voltage difference of 1.2V or larger means a cell, there are six in each module, has failed.

The fan comes on because a failed cell becomes a resistor. It generates heat when a charge is going into the battery and a discharge is occurring. It is unrecoverable.

We prefer to see 'balanced' modules:
    1. same or similar Ahr capacity - a weak module will have a greater voltage swing than a strong one. When (or if) a weak cell ever sees a reversed voltage, it fails, permanently and becomes a resistor.
    2. same state of charge - a module at say 30% charge in a pack of modules with 60% charge can easily suffer a reverse voltage which fails it permanently.
    Rebuilding a traction battery can be done but works best:
    1. Inventory of more than 38 modules - so the weakest ones can be culled
    2. Equal charge mechanism - there are several ways to make sure the modules start at same SOC
    It can be done but it is not quick. Always remember, 'heat is the enemy.'

Bob Wilson

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Your Prius monitors module pairs so it is the sum of two modules that must match the other module pairs to avoid alarms.
    Getting all of the modules to independently match is better for a longer lasting repair.
    Yes, and they should match as well.
    Try to obtain a hobbyest battery charger/balancer to work on the modules. I use SuperMate DC6 units and a 12v DC source (Both obtained on eBay for about $35 for the pair). One of these together with an inexpensive digital voltmeter can do whatever is required, multiple DC6's speed up the process, but remember to keep clamping pressure on any module being charged or discharged as the sides can bulge due to internal pressure. There are multiple discussion threads on the HV battery re-balancing process.
    A scanner is useful when you want to monitor the car without disassembling it.
    There are Gen1 modules on eBay, but their condition varies. The Gen2 and Gen3 modules are better ones, but you need to use all modules of the same type (The Gen3 modules were improved again in the 2012 model year) as their IRs are lower in the newer designs.
    There are great discussions on Gen1 Tranny fluid in the Yahoo "Prius-Technical-Stuff" discussion group led by Bob Wilson.
    There are ones available on ebay for a couple of thousand US dollars

JeffD

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey Paul,

Does that mean you would also be able to get a valet key cut by VIN? My situation is the car came to me with only masters. That's a lot better than the other way 'round, and I've had another one cut for safekeeping off-site (at the local hardware, just by copying the cut of my master) and I've programmed one as a sub, but I simply don't have any key that's mechanically cut as a valet so it won't open the trunk (and I've never been able to figure out what the difference in cut ought to be, not having the two to compare).

It might be nice to have at least one correctly cut valet key. (I even have an uncut blank already ... I bought two blanks back when I had the extra one cut).

-Chap

11. jonathan T

jonathan T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HI Bob, Jeff and All

Update:
    First Thanks guys for the posts!

Ok here we go:
    1: So i got a load tester and tested each and every individual battery module.

2: Before testing i took a regular voltage reading as the follows:
    1 thru 34 read btwn 7.81~7.83 (except 16&18 reading 7.79)
    35 thru38 read 7.66, 7.77, 7.68, 7.77

3: After load testing all batteries seemed to pass the test of 5 to 10 second load and stayed in the green zone of 6 to 7 volts.

4: After load testing i took the following readings:
    1 thru 24 read between 7.62to 7.72
    25 read 7.57
    26 thru 34 read 7.68 to 7.71
    35~38 read 7.53, 7.56, 7.59, 7.58

5: Cleaned all contacts with Baking soda, Bolted it all back and started her up and heard an awful electrical shorting sound, turned off immediately, pulled service plug, flipped a little, and ran a scan on it.
    Got codes P3030 & P1437P
    I unbolted and inspected and saw one of the bolts connecting the two larger orange wires heading to the Inverter was burnt due to never being tightened. (I mention this to all those who are reading to make sure you tighten all your bolts:)
    I tightened cleared codes and started her up and no codes popped back up running 15 minutes.

OK so i checked the codes
    P1437 being Catalytic convertor warm up / Vacuum line ?
    P3030 being High voltage line snapped

So with all said above I figure P3030 was the loose bolt
    Not Sure about P1437
    Not sure after testing all the batteries and they seem to be all good i previously was getting P3022??
    Yesterday before i took apart the HV Batt, i ran the car for 5 miles or so and got no recurring P3022 code.
    What do you guys think??
    Ok just did some more research and i think the P3022 tells me specifically block 12 of the battery bank is weak or bad? So is that counting from the drivers side to the passengers side? Am i correct here?
    So does that mean Battery #'s 25 and 26? Those voltage readings after the load test were 25= 7.57, and 26=7.68.
    Is 7.57 volts to low or different compared to the rest of the batteries? Doesn't seem so
    The only other batts reading in the 7.5 zone are the replacements batts i just got from the states.
    Anybody want to weigh in here?

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Remember that the ECU reads the sum of two battery module voltages and in use there can be a drain/charge current of up to 100 amps for short periods. If there is any significant difference in Internal Resistance, a code can be set.

JeffD

13. jonathan T

jonathan T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jeff,

Ok because this is all new to me, let me ask you:
    1: From the test results above wouldn't a load test show a significant drop in voltage of block 12 if the resistance was bad?
    2: Do you think P3022 code will only come back ?
    3: What would you do to best handle this and make this a viable vehicle ?

Thanks in Advance

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It might help if you take a quick look at the Wiki page on NiMH battery:
    [​IMG]
    What happens is if two modules have different State of Charge (SOC), say one it on the upper 2/3 and the other on the lower 1/3, as they normally discharge, the one on the lower 1/3 will "drop off the cliff". Its voltage will drop so fast as to exceed the 0.3V threshold for a fault but more importantly, it risks suffering a "reverse charge." A "reverse charge" is normally fatal.

In your ordinary driving, you can't see what the voltages are 'in operation' which is where a Prius aware, OBD scanner pays for itself. The scanner can monitor the "highest block" and "highest voltage" and the "lowest block" and "lowest voltage" while the car is in operation. When these go bad, the scanner shows you the problem and you can then correct the fault.

This is called balancing the SOC, one to two things that need to be balanced.

The other is balancing the Amp Hour (Ahr) by using modules with the same storage capacity. If one module has a lot of capacity, its voltage won't swing much in normal operation. However, the weakest one(s) will. Again, the Prius OBD scanner lets you find out what is going on.

But you are on an island with limited resources (although you have yet to discover structural bamboo!) So what to do:

CONTROLLED DISCHARGE

Set the parking brake (or block the tires.)
    Start the car and let it run until the engine stops by itself.
    Shift into "N" - this inhibits further charging of the battery and keeps engine off
    Turn on every electrical accessory: lights on bright, fan on full, A/C MAX if working, otherwise just fans, cabin lights
    Survey the module voltages every 10 minutes or so, keep a log

When you get a code or the module voltages begin to approach 7.2 V, shift into "D" and let the engine recharge the traction battery.

FORCED CHARGE

Set the parking brake (or block the tires.)
    Start the car and let it run until the engine stops by itself.

Hold foot brake and floor accelerator for 1 minute.
    Survey the module voltages and keep a log.

Repeat above until it will no longer add charge or the error code comes back.

HEAT IS THE ENEMY

Charging NiMH batteries is exothermic, they get warm. Heat weakens the plastic case, increases the internal pressure, and can lead to a seal-leak of gas and electrolyte. Do everything you can to avoid heating the traction battery. But in this case, you are trying to diagnose a problem.

The modules are number 1-38 with 1 being adjacent to the control electronics. If you have the time and resource, check the module temperatures too as this can give a clue to the weakest modules (they get pretty hot.) Relative temperature (aka., finger test) is OK but follow-up with a real measurement if you can.

Bob Wilson

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    That depends on how much current the load drew during the test. Read the battery voltage and load current while under load, then read the battery voltage after removing the load and then you can calculate the Internal Resistance: (Vunloaded-Vloaded)/(load current)
    Perhaps under heavy acceleration/deceleration.
    I rebalance all modules using my DC6. The down side is that it takes a while to do all the modules (28 for me, 38 for you) as you need to discharge/charge each one 2 or 3 times and the 5w dissipation limit of the DC6 makes it take a while. The up side is that you not only increase the capacity of each good module back to close its 6.5 amp hour rating, you also get a measurement of each module's capacity so that you can put together a matched set. rebalancing is getting all 6 cells in each module back near the same SOC and extend the life of the module.

Bob has experience with the Gen1 modules, I have only dealt with Gen2 modules.

JeffD

16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You'll like my next project . . . a Zener and load resistor as a shunt load to get the modules to a constant voltage level.

In this case, there is a risk (the smoke could escape) approach. Remove the buss bars and wire all modules in parallel. Then put a load, say a tail lamp light on to bring them all down to a know, low level, say 7.2V.

Remove the load and put a charger on and bring them all up to no higher than 8V.

Now remove the parallel wiring and reattach the buss bars taking care to properly torque all nuts and NOT break the sense wires (18 of them??)

Bob Wilson

usnavystgc likes this.
  17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That should work with no problems Bob.

18. jonathan T

jonathan T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OH DEAR, MORE AND MORE CODES DURING THIS MORNINGS TEST DRIVE.
    First Thank you Bob, Thank you Jeff for your posts, I have a feeling i will be trying out your new way of equalizing the batts.
    Ok Drove a total of 4.5 miles.
    Got a total of 4 different check engine/ triangle warnings (I reset each time)
    1: @.5 miles got codes: P3013, P1437p, and P3006p (noted and reset)
    2: @1.2 miles got code P3017 (noted and reset)
    3: @ 2.8 miles got codes P3006 & P3006p (noted and reset)
    4: @3.3 miles got codes P3006 & P3006p (noted and reset)

Am a bit bummed but need to move forward.
    Questions:
    1: Did i damage my batts by load testing them?
    2: What is the difference between codes P3006 & P3006p?
    3: Will i damage the HV batt and worst other parts of the car by driving and resetting each time a code comes up whilst i wait for more part/ tools, etc.......?
    4: Are my batteries still good but just need to be equalized?
    5: Bob is what you are talking about building for real? and do you want to send the first one to me?
    6: What do i do with codeP1437p?
    7: Someone told me a $25 scanner on ebay is prius aware and works i think he said something like TIS

Ok i need to know if i am going to damage my vehicle more if i run it like this until i can get the parts here to fix it.
    Let me know Guys

19. jonathan T

jonathan T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also Guys Gas milage is down to 29mpg's

20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I have the parts but have not built my dual-stage charger. I would prefer NOT to experiment with someone else's car. For the curious, this is an Alabama shunt regulator:
    • 8V Zener and thermistor in heat-shrink
    • Zener in series across each of the 38 modules.
    • thermistors in parallel as input to constant current circuit
    • 70V, 1A and 0.010A power supply
    • With cold thermistors, power supply provides 1A charge current
    • First 'hot' thermistor, reduces current to 0.010A
    The 'hot' thermistor is because the associated Zener is conducting current. Wire-ORed, the first hot Zener clamps the current to a low value, so the Zener won't burn out and the rest of the modules will continue to charge. In reality, as the Zener cools, the thermistor will become more resistive and the constant current supply with conduct a little more. Thermal equalibrium will be achieved. As more and more Zeners begin to conduct, the constant current supply will continue to reduce the current. After a little circuit tuning, it should reach a point where the Zeners are warm, the modules cool, and all modules at an equal, safe, maximum charge. <GRINS>

But this is not something that must first be done in my lab. Done badly and your battery could become an ugly, toxic mess. You really don't want to pioneer this technique.

Bob Wilson