1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2003 w/87k startup noise

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by scirocco.wind, Mar 17, 2021.

1. scirocco.wind

scirocco.wind Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi y'all. I scored this car from auction ($500! one owner! no warning lights!) and it's been fantastic. Even the oem 12v battery mostly works.

However --- i suspect the motor mounts are collapsed, as there is noticeable rock when the engine comes on when parked and engine noise is higher than other Gen 1 that i've been near.

Motor mounts are one thing, but when starting for the first time each day there is a loud and obvious noise that sounds like an electric clutch. Like giant A/C clutch.

This only happens when the car hasn't run for a while and beyond being an unidentified and unusual noise, there are no symptoms.

Does anyone have an idea? If there's interest i'll try to record the noise for posterity.

2. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My '03 has always been - very briefly - clattery on start-up since I bought it about 2.5 yrs ago. I always figured it was either dry valve noise or an inverter cooling pump that would tell me something more if it was truly a problem. It always just quiets down and I go on my way. Otherwise I would have looked into it more thoroughly. In other words, other than a little noise, I have no real symptoms.

Mine also likes to rock when the ICE kicks on/off and I figure that means I'll likely end up replacing the "dog-bone" (torque strut) mount at some point. Or not...

3. scirocco.wind

scirocco.wind Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Indeed, this is my goal, so long as there's not some fatal / aggravating problem that's related -- it does seem to be related to outside temp

thanks for your input!