1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004-06 prius fob hack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by statultra, Jun 20, 2006.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is for non sks people, im not sure how safe this is but you can do it at your own risk.

step 1 : insert the fob into the slot, do not put it in all the way, just until before it clicks ( therefore the key is in but nto locked in ) keep your hands there.
    step 2: with your hands holding the fob in the slot, press the power button to start the vehicle, it should start and you may be able to keep the key in your pocket while the power is on.

i just was playing around with my prius ( it has SKS ) but i disabled it and tried to start it without the fob in the slot. Im not sure the dangers, but it works ( for me ) , im just not sure about non sks prius's.

oh yeah , im not also sure about the purpose of this? but then again i cant understand purpose anyway

2. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

SKS = smart key system?

3. BobZ

BobZ New Member

You don't have to put the fob in the slot with SKS so you really aren't accomplishing anything. Hack? What hack?
    :blink: :blink: :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Jun 20 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]274366[/snapback]</div>

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no i meant this for non SKS users, not SKS, i disabled my smart key and tried my procedure to see if it would work, im not sure whether or not it will work on the NON SKS i would like to see, its a interesting concept to me that the transponder ECU would allow the vehicle to be started, and have the fob not present in the slot.

if anyone without the smart key system would try this procedure i would like to know the results

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disabled the retention solenoid in my non-sks slot precisely so
    I *can* start the car and then take the key out and put it away.
    Slid one pin out of the connector shell, completely reversible.
    _H*

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 28 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]278264[/snapback]</div>
    I should have known! Hobbit at it again!? What is next?

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Jun 21 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]274626[/snapback]</div>
    As you presumed, it should work the same as a non SKS fob. With SKS disabled, the car has to 'find' the fob in the slot. Apparently it doesn't have to be ALL the way in. I don't know if there is an interlock that keeps you from popping the fob out while the car is running (I've never actually put my fob in the slot) but I presume it has the same safeguards as the SKS cars: if the fob is removed from the running car, it will continue running. You just wouldn't be able to start it again once you shut down.

Imagine the newly sophisticated car jacker: "Does this Prius have SKS, because if it does, you need to give me the fob". :)