1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 160k traction battery dead, sugestions...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by noisebeam, Aug 17, 2016.

1. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A shop told me the traction battery is shot (bank #9).

A replacement (Toyota part) is $2588.97+$288.20 labor = $3108.86 with tax. It will have a 2yr/24k mile parts/labor warranty by the shop. Shop said that they could bring in used battery and recondition it, but that would only save me ~$500. They said I could try to repair cells and recondition for $1500, but given age and heat this battery has seen believe it would be unlike to be successful.

Background:
    In March CE light went on and coded P1121 plus the whirring noises every few minutes. That is the coolant three-way valve. Research told me that it is not a must do repair, but of course the CE light no longer can tell me if anything else goes wrong.

In early July the car was not driven for 10 days. On return it started up fine, but after 5mi gave red-triangle. I avoided the problem and car remained unused. I did check a few times and the battery indicator went to 1 bar when left alone, but charged up to mid range with some light driving in neighborhood. Inverter coolant was moving fine as was ICE coolant. ICE coolant pump replaced several years ago.

Drove it to shop, by then the battery indicator stayed at one bar and it took ~20sec to get from 0 to 30mph, but once at 45mph it held it like cruise control was on.
    Shop told me the above about the traction battery and that it also has codes P1121 as well as codes related to ABS system, but said that Toyota has extended warranty on the ABS and I should have Toyota repair ABS module under warranty.

The vehicle has all the expected wear of a 12yr old car - loose visor, dings, cracked taillight housing, etc.
    Other maintenance needs include:
    -Front tires getting old (front 6/32, but with dry cracking from heat, rear have 8/32)
    -Front/rear shocks sagging, but not terrible.
    -Transmission fluid is brown, replacement quoted $118

I am willing to put in the $3500 to repair, but wonder if that is dumb given age & mileage of car. I really don't want to buy a new car right now (bought a new truck a year ago) and figure I could get a couple more years out of it and get a bit in resale to get some of the battery replacement cost back. I view vehicle as a tool, not as a comfort or image.

One concern is the ABS - as by CE light was blocked by P1121 I don't know if this is new or if a symptom of bad traction battery and worse not sure if the extended Toyota warranty will cover it.

Suggestions?

2. gatorglenn

gatorglenn Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Is that a Toyota dealer? If it is the battery should have a 3 year warranty if they install it. That is not a bad price for the battery and very good for the installation.

Read this note about new battery costs: New Traction Battery Cost: Start Shopping Here | PriusChat
    Then use the info to either buy the battery cheaper or negotiate with your dealer for a lower cost. Ask them if they will price match Camelback Toyota.

I was able to save over $500 when i bought a new battery from a local dealer by asking.

Good luck,
    Glenn

3. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your willing to do a little work you can easily replace the failed module, recondition your existing battery, then perform regular maintenance on it to keep it going for a few more years for around $400-$450. We have hundreds of customers just like you who have already done this with great success. Here is some more info:
    Prolong Battery Systems FAQ - Hybrid Automotive

Feel free to give us a call at 800-589-0730 if you'd like to discuss in person :)

4. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not a Toyota dealer it is: Chandler Auto Repair 85226 | Nate's Next Gen Auto Care (480)699-0754 | Honda Repair in Chandler, AZ – Mechanic Auto Shop Theme
    I live ~20mi from Camelback Toyota, it is where I bought my truck. It looks like they need the core back to get the price, but I can ask Nate if they can match or get it from them. That would be ~$400 less.
    Nate told me that in his experience with a 12yr old battery that has spent its entire life in the hot Arizona desert conditions that they are often so many bad cells that by the time you replace them all you will be close to new battery price.

5. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A bit more info. The codes that are being generated are:
    Battery:
    P0A80
    P3019 - bank #9 weak
    ABS:
    C1242 - low/high voltage
    C1256 - accumulator low pressure
    C1259 - HV re-gen fault
    C1310 - fault in hybrid HV system
    Transmission:
    P1121 - coolant valve (this has been generated since March-2016)
    P1122 - coolant circuit low
    P2318 - low voltage error

The shop reminded me that some of these codes under ABS/Trans may be because of the bad traction battery. The only code that AutoZone (i.e. not Toyota specific/detail codes) read in Mar-2016 was the P1121.

They also said that if I bring them a battery, they will install it and give me the old core then it is up to me to get the refund on the core from Toyota and that it gets shipped back to Japan for Toyota to inspect and it can take several weeks to get the $1350 back.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one suggestion i have heard is to put in the new battery, with the idea that if the car becomes too expensive to repair at some point, you can sell the battery, or move it to another gen 2 in better condition that needs a battery.
    i will say this though, the 2004's were built like tanks.

noisebeam likes this.
  7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out Steve at PHOENIX HYBRID BATTERIES.

He can save you about $1000 on a new Toyota battery.

Brad

noisebeam likes this.
  8. gatorglenn

gatorglenn Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bought a new battery from a dealer and returned the core a few days later. I got my core refund that day.

Glenn