1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004-2005 Prius Display Screen Hood's FOR SALE

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by robinredbreast, Oct 12, 2004.

1. robinredbreast

robinredbreast New Member

Hello my name is Robin. I recently bought a 2004 Toyota Prius. I was very happy with it till I discovered a problem with my navigation screen. In the day time when I would drive I couldn't see the screen because of a horrible glare. After countless nights of trying to solve my problem, I finally came up with a design its called "The Prius Hood". Its a cloth visor, with velcro fasteners, to hold it in place. They are recently for sale.

My site: http://www.wakeup.to/priusdisplayhood

for more info please contact me at: [email protected]

2. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Robin,
    I just got mine from you. Nice job! Thanks.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine apparently came on Saturday, but the mail got here so late we didn't realize it had come until my wife put out the main TODAY! Then she put it in her car and hasn't gotten home yet from work...Can't wait to take a look and try it out.

I do have reservations about the velcro holding as I've had some little adhesive clips that didn't hold well at all on that MFD panel. I did buy some industrial strength Velcro to use in case Robin's doesn' do the job.

Failing that I may resort to putting some small screws in to hold it in place if it looks like something I'd want to keep as a permanent install.

4. robinredbreast

HI
    I hope you enjoy your hood I do. I have had my test hood on for about 2 months now. Temps ranging from 90s to the 20s the Velcro has not failed. the only way it could give you trouble if either you move the glue side while installing hood or constantly pull the hood on and off . The Velco I use is not what a consumer would by in a retail store this has a acrylic based glue. not a rubber base which will get gummy under heat.
    After you have the hood on for a while and you take it off the dash looks naked without it. Thank you for buying my Product
    Robin

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here's my first official report on the hood:

1)Nice looking material with well finished edges/seams. It isn't quite as rigid as I'd expected/hoped. I thought the main 'brim' would be more like a baseball cap. As it is it feels like two layers of the material with some firmer support material sandwiched b/w.

2)Cut and shape. Mine had two folds. One came right to the front 'corners', the other was well off the corner so that when it was laid on the MFD it didn't really sit quite right. I created my own crease just by folding over at the corner. It seems OK though not perfect. The design itself seems adequate.

3)Fit and finish. To be honest it was a little too big. The edges that fold over and down the sides of the MFD are too long. If you bring them just too the dash there is open space at the top (it gaps a little), if you pull it taught you have a little overlap. I put the overlap on the driver's side of the MFD and velcoed it down such that it looks as OEM as possible.

I would have prefered 1)slightly stiffer material, and 2) more accurate cut/sizing of the material with precise seems (a more rigid material would have helped that).

Overall I think the product will work just fine as is, but I worry that with time as the material ages and softens that it will droop down into the viewing area of the MFD screen....time will tell.

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it droops over the years, just buy another at $10...cheap enough..

7. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like mine... bought it on eBay... Robin was quick to send it out.. it is well worth the money.. it is really nice to see the screen without having to shade it with my or the passengers hand... Welcome to priuschat, Robin

Bob Andersen

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobA\";p=\"45024)</div>
    Oh it definately does the job. I got mine via Ebay as well. Anyway, I just got back from my first sunny foray out with it during a time where I routinely have sunglare on the display. You could actually see the shadow the hood was casting and thus could see how effective it was. At one point a small sliver of light came in under or around the hood and you could really tell that the whole screen would be hard to see/washed out were it not for the hood shading most of it.

9. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    just ordered mine as well via ebay...and robin, welcome aboard... :wave:

10. robinredbreast

I personally want to Thank All of you for your kind words . Well I better get back to the sweat shop and get the Hoods out.

Thanks Again
    Robin