1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Ford Focus ZTS 2.3L Duratec PZEV

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ajacobson, May 26, 2004.

1. ajacobson

ajacobson New Member

My heart wants a Prius but my butt needed a seat quick so I bought a 2004 Ford Focus ZTS sedan. I've been reading up on the engine and exhaust system, pretty interesting. It's SULEV and when on California gas, PZEV. Furthermore, the 2.3L Duratec PZEV system is standard for the 2004 ZTS nationwide (in 2003 it was available only in the states with low emission requirements).

So, it lays out about the same amount of emissions as a Prius, just without the high mileage. I like it a lot and I NEVER thought I would say that about a Ford! :eek:

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds good, now what about the mileage, does it get pretty decent compared to the Prius? And how do you like it, and can you compare it to a Prius if you had ever gotten to drive one.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While it's PZEV, it's not AT-PZEV. I'd argue that the Prius is still far cleaner than the Focus, because it doesn't idle-stop, etc.

I still applaud ford for having such a vehcile, but I can't help overlook that it's only used to offset the Excursion and other V10 behemoths.

4. ajacobson

ajacobson New Member

My first tank was 27 mpg, mid-range of the EPA estimate. Obviously it can't hold a candle to the hybrids on mileage but I'm pleasantly surprised with the acceleration, especially when going over 50 mph. Its a manual and individual shifting technique can have an impact on mpg.

I haven't driven a Prius but I was a passenger in a classic and got to sit in a 2004 at the Detroit auto show. The 2004 Prius is fabulous, roomy, a great refinement of the original vehicle.

There's going to be a lot of different hybrids available (or "available," if you know what I mean) within the next couple of years. When I pay off the Focus, I think there will be a lot of options for going hybrid. Scientific American Frontiers PBS program on future cars showed the hydrogen/electric hybrid Focus Ford has in the lab in Germany. It was extremely cool.

5. ajacobson

ajacobson New Member

No argument from me there. I live in Fordland (oops, I mean Detroit) and the roads here are choking with those monsters. Ford is trying to butter both sides of their bread. But they are doing better than GM, who have put nearly all their chips on technologies that are at least ten years away. At the 2004 auto show, the GM technical exhibit had a cut away hybrid Silverado but notably didn't display their hydro Hy-wire concept, which they made such a big deal out of in 2003. And of course now we find out that the hybrid Silverado will only get a few mpg higher than a standard vehicle. Feh, it's a joke.