1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 (Gen 2) Combo Meter failed today

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ggarb, Oct 5, 2017.

1. ggarb

ggarb Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2004 Prius, around 230,000 miles.
    Today I couldn't turn off the car, and after researching here, looks like I have the "Combo Meter Failure".

Luckily after driving back to work the car shut down.

I've read the posts from 2012 about the Toyota "Enhanced Warranty Program" for this issue, and I've read the T-SR. But that expired in 2013.

I also checked on recalls.gov and there's nothing there about this failure mode.

Does anybody know if Toyota will fix this free still?
    Any tips appreciated.

I'm in the Silicon Valley area.
    Are there viable options besides the dealer?
    (Not interested in buying a part off of eBay and losing my odometer reading.)

Thanks.

iPhone ?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your current combo meter will max out at 299,999.

See the link in my signature about it and what you can do about it.

I gather you are not adverse to a DIY repair in which case you can either send your current CM to Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries for repair or, purchase a refurbished 2006-2009 CM and light cluster set which will be initialised with your current milage replace your current CM and light cluster. This will ensure your car's ODO will continue on past 299,999. Not sure if you have to send Matt your old set if you take option two.

Hope that helps.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota has no obligation to fix it for free for you, since they were generous by offering affected VINs the warranty extension of 10years/unlimited miles, from vehicle's first use date.

You can always call Toyota and beg. Worst they will tell you is NO, which is your current situation. Now, if you have been getting the vehicle serviced religiously at a Toyota dealer, and have purchased previous Toyotas, Corporate Toyota might offer your a reduced repair price.

Call Art's Automotive (Berkely) and Luscious Garage (SF), to see what they charge.

4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It never hurts to ask your dealer or Toyota to help out some. Maybe a 50/50 or 67/33 split. The worst that can happen is they say no.

It also might be worth a look at the options for those who run into the dreaded 299,999 mileage limit on their odometers. There might be one of the sellers of the units providing replacements for those meters who can find one that will match up to yours, taken from a salvaged car.

Other than that I really don't have anything. Maybe someone else here will chime in.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    srellim234 likes this.