1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Intermittent headlight and back tail light problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jlovestohike, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Jlovestohike

Jlovestohike New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought my 2004 Prius used a few years ago and never have had any issues until a couple months ago.
    First it was my back tail lights (they went out and I replaced both of them) come to find out yesterday Driver side is out.
    I also have been having problems with my Headlights. I replaced the HID bulbs last month, they will work for a short period of time then the drivers side will go out and the the passenger side. It turns back on after I re-try it.
    Has anyone else encountered this? I don't have the money to take it to the dealer or mechanic.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What did you replace on the back? Bulbs? Entire assembly? What doesn’t work drivers’ side? Parking light? Nothing?

3. Jlovestohike

Jlovestohike New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Drivers side back taillight is out. I replaced both back taillights in July.
    I replaced my HID headlights in late August.

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rear:
    So only rear parking light was out? And you just replaced the bulbs? Maybe bulb has just burned again? Pretty common for cheap bulbs to only work for short time.

Front:
    Maybe you have bad ballasts? Maybe the bulbs you put in were bad quality? What kind of bulbs did you use? Do you still have the old HID bulbs? Put the one that was working back in. If it works then you know it’s just bulb problem.

5. Jlovestohike

Jlovestohike New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced the ballasts but it's still not working. I'm not sure where to go next with attempting to fix the headlights