1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 many warning lights - yipes!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Maria Logsdon, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Maria Logsdon

Maria Logsdon New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. I would love some ideas about what may be wrong wtih this
    2004 Prius - only 97K miles on it. My sister took it for every service to the dealer faithfully up to when she gave it to me with about 62K miles on it.
    She only drove it for a short commute for 14 years.
    A few weeks ago warning lights came on for :

Brake system warning lights (YELLOW)
    ABS-Anti-lock brake system warning light
    VSC - Stability control system
    Malfunction indicator lamp CHECK is under the symbol
    Master warning light
    Maintenance required

This is what looked OK at a glance:
    Engine oil level (cold engine with car having sat for several days and not started). It was 3/4 into full range on dipstick.
    Brake fluid level
    The upright reservoir (in the center of the engine) level.
    The other reservoir for coolant that is on the left front side of the car sitting sideways was easily accessible to see when standing
    in front of the car-as you all know. Is there a way I can see it without it being up on a lift? And would that be worth looking at given the
    info I have shared so far?

My repairs over the last 4 years have been:
    9/1/21 Serpentine belt
    7/2/19 New front battery.
    9/12/19 Water pump replaced

12/21/18 Gearshift lever. - It is an automatic
    Oil changes/oil filter every 4K-5K
    The 30 K miles I have put on it have mostly been driving around town. About eery 2 months, I drive for 3 hours on interstate back and forth and
    I drove halfway across the US 3 times in the last year.

Quick addl questions: Anyone have thoughts on slow acceleration and if 'flooring it' for safety hurts anything? It looks pretty goofy a past middle age woman trying to drive fast through
    left turns with the engine revving audibly.
    Why would a newish front battery die when idling for awhile to keep the heat high enough while waiting in a parking lot (I try not to do this often)?
    Why it is hard to angle a replacement sun visor so it is functional on drivers side (stays too high up). I am afraid I will break it if I pull down too hard on it. The shop that got the replacement
    did not adjust it when I told them about it. They just pushed on it to the extent that I did which had no effective impact.
    Regarding the warning lights above, is there any chance some of these are just indicators that can just be reset? Safety first, but my budget really wants me to ask.
    Thanks again,
    Maria
    p.s.- sorry so much info. I know I was being super thorough-likely because I am in a healthcare field and do not know what is really relevant.

[​IMG]
    ReplyForward