1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 ominous noise- brakes? actuator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrust, Dec 5, 2023.

1. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    looking to diagnose: When I start car up and begin to drive....an ominous rumbling noise when I apply brakes:-.....BBBRRRRRRR.....been going on a while
    After a short while, noise disappears.

I had actuator replaced not very long ago...BUT was replaced with a used one. Since the original where known to have a short life due to defect..... I cant rule out that once again its bad. BUT...no idea what the noise is...just guessing. front brakes been checked recently- no issue
    thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where does it sound like it's coming from?

3. priusrust

priusrust Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    center/ mid-front ....ish

I did have one of those knock off CAT shields covering cat with some questionable material left dangling that might cause noise....BUT this happens only when I brake.....clearly part of braking system. Would this be actuator going bad?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It’s hard to know from your description. Usually you get the frequent pump buzzing or quacking kind of sound. can someone listen under the hood while you step on the brake?

priusrust likes this.