1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 paint fail - Driftwood Pearl

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jroussos, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jroussos

jroussos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My wife sold her 2004 Driftwood Pearl Prius to her brother 3 years ago. She was the original owner. I looked at the car today and I was horrified at the condition of the paint on the roof. The clear coat appeared to have totally broken down and there was lots of horrible etching.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

What is the cost the do a good quality total repaint?

Anyone?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it is 10 years old. i suppose a good paint job is a few thousand dollars these days, but why would you bother?

#2 bisco, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  3. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    10 year old car and worried about the paint... my 04 looks great but oo kept it in garage. 11 pieces of glass.. painted cars myself came out looking crummy, way too much time and materials.another consideration, grab some buzz cans and paint it camo. worked great on my 84 4x toy truck

4. jroussos

jroussos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's a 10 year old car but we feel bad. When my wife sold it to her brother it was in almost perfect condition since she kept it garaged. Her brother lives in a condo and he parks it outside in the strong Florida sun. I also don't know if he over waxed it with an abrasive compound.

The headlights are also in terrible condition. Beyond where they can be brought back to looking good.

It's a shame as it only has 70,000 miles on it and mechanically in excellent condition.

He thinks he can get a paint job for $800. At that price I doubt it would be quality.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The new paint job can be done right or it can be done cheap. For $800 it will last longer than the warranty. Doing it right means stripping off the old damaged paint. When left on it will continue to deteriorate.

From the description my guess is that he didn't wash or wax the car. No paint is going to withstand that amount of neglect.

6. littlehandegan

littlehandegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My 2005 black has the same issues. "crows feet" on the roof.

If he is going to pay $800 to have the whole car painted he is going to be really let down. It will be garbage, trust me..

He may want to look into a good detailer who applies opticoat, it will save the rest of the paint and prevent issues.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where's earl shibe when you need him...(n)

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i liked the johnny carson version.:cool:

10. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RainX has a great product for cloudy headlights. It lasts a number of months and gets the lights really clear again.