1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prii owners with high mileage any problems??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Allen, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you read the shop manual section on that job, they warn you to use a SST to unstake the axle nut from the axle. Yes, they warn you will damage the axle threads.

2. uvm1969

uvm1969 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005 with 122,400 trouble free miles so far. I have not had a single maintanence issue.

I replaced the inverter fluid and coolant at 100,000 miles. I use WIX oil filters and Amsoil XL 5 20 synthetic oil. It burns no oil at all, and I change the oil every 7,500-8,000 miles.

I have a business friend who has put on 110,000 miles already on a 2008! He is a distributor and drives the vehicle hard every day. Not a single problem for him, either.

3. zebibyte

zebibyte Junior Member

I have a 2004 with 157k now, going strong. Only thing done to it other than suggested maintenance was to replace the transaxle fluid recently. I've just noticed that both rear brake lights are failing, the LEDs are extremely dim, while the center LED strip is fine.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh...I hope it's not too expensive to repair when mine starts failing. I'm really glad to have this resource for possible future issues.

5. zohyeahz

zohyeahz New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine has 170k on it. I have the infamous headlight problem, despite buying a $300 bulb from Toyota the first time it went out. Also, this week - my check engine light came on. First thing i'd had go wrong!

6. fiblet

fiblet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have an '04 with 138k miles. Original 12v battery still ok, original brake pads front and rear still ok. I did have a slight leaky rear shock at 70k miles but didn't fix it yet, still seems to be ok. I had the pain of replacing the license plate bulbs. I replaced them with LED so I would not need to do that again. I noticed on the 2010 they put small access windows to get to the plate bulbs now. The rear tail lights seem to just go off occasionally. All I do is hit the outside of the tail light with my hand and they go on again. I have to do this for each side maybe every few months. My main gripe with the car is some of the interior cheapness. This would be the armrest cloth that unglues itself and the glovebox springs that snap out from the cheap plastic holders.