1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Chassis harness needs replacement due to "rodent damage"

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by profkaf, Aug 8, 2016.

1. profkaf

profkaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings. I'm new to this group and would appreciate people's thoughts on this. I have owned a 2004 Prius since April 2015. The current mileage is 86,200. Yesterday morning when I started my Prius SEVERAL warning lights came on and have stayed on: The warning lights show large red exclamation point, vehicle stability light (VSR?), a brake symbol with exclamation point in a circle, and a seatbelt or airbag symbol. The vehicle drives and brakes appear to work. Since these symbols appeared yesterday, the A/C blows air, but NOT cool air, and the cruise control doesn't seem to work.

Took it to local Toyota dealer this morning for their computerized assessment. They have told me that the CHASSIS HARNESS has extensive "rodent damage" and needs to be replaced. They estimate the repair will require 13.5 hours of labor. Parts AND labor will cost $5,260. I have a 3 year 3600 mile warranty that I purchased about 15 months ago when I purchased the used car from a different local dealership, but Toyota dealership told me today that "rodent damage" isn't covered by that warranty. I have learned, however, that my auto insurance company covers "rodent damage," so my insurance agent is arranging for an insurance adjustor to view this damage at the local Toyota dealership within the next couple days.

Naturally, I was SHOCKED to learn of the necessity for this extremely expensive repair!! I am certainly aware that rodents can sometimes cause wiring damage, but this repair seems outrageously extensive and expensive. Ordinarily I would consider taking it to another dealership for a second opinion, but worry about the risk of driving to another Toyota dealer in another city----especially given that I will be having an insurance adjustor going to view the damage at the local Toyota dealership within the next 2-3 days. I am wondering whether any other Prius owners on this forum have encountered such an issue? $5,260 for part and labor sounds extreme! Thanks for any feedback you might offer.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well your insurance will total this car and you won't have to worry about it anymore

If you were to buy it back and fix it, you may find a used harness relatively cheap

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Engine harness shows a retail of $3400. 13.5hrs x $125(?)=1700 Plus taxes.... :cry:

I'd bet your adjuster will get the price lower but does it really matter since you'd only be paying the deductible?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe look for a local mech who will try to repair the existing harness? waterproofing is probably important though. i wonder what a used harness and local mech replacement would cost?

5. profkaf

profkaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

6. profkaf

profkaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply. The adjustor will be seeing the car tomorrow. I am hoping he doesn't total the car, because I REALLY like the car and it has very low mileage. I just purchased it 16 months ago. I am going to call around tomorrow to see if anyone else can do it for less than $5260.

7. profkaf

profkaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Doug. No it won't really matter IF the insurance adjustor approves the repair. It being a 2004, however, it depends upon the value of the vehicle. There is a possibility adjustor won't approve a $5260 repair, depending upon car's value. I've just learned that the Adjustor will be looking at the car tomorrow.. Here's hoping. Thanks for your reply.

8. profkaf

profkaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. I just learned that the adjustor will look at vehicle tomorrow. If repair isn't approved for payment by insurance company, I may explore other options. Finding someone in my area (other than Toyota dealership) qualified to deal with a Prius may be limited. Thanks for your feedback!

bisco likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You might be in luck. These guys have a good, long standing rep. here.

Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana

bisco likes this.